Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

  1. #1
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nineveh, Indiana
    Posts
    108

    Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

    Well, as I contemplate this project, after the rebuild of my Nova. A real thought occurred to me. The last time I had this car together, I only ever made one test pass in this car. I had a buddy do all the driving and I was content to turn wrenches and tune on it. That was in the late 80's.

    1978 was probably the last time I made a competitive pass down a drag strip! I was much younger and likey had better reflexes then. It certainly won't be this year before I get it out and if I'm luckey, maybe sometime next.

    I doubt I'll be the last old duffer to try this though. Imagine I'll look mighty silly the first few passes. Got months of work ahead before this becomes a reality.

    My old friend wants back in on this and I'm happy that he and I can do this. This time I want to drive it some. I reckon early on, I'll be the easy win for someone.
    Robert Swartz
    Swartz & Lane 1966 Chevy II
    Swartz & Lane 1979 Firebird H/CM
    You don't learn much when everything goes right.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    san antonio, texas
    Posts
    1,233
    there you go, thats the spirit, get back in the swing of things, even
    when things start to come back to you and you start to feeling young
    again, don't go and dye your hair, or stop wearing under wear,
    and don't look like your cruising when you go down the strip just
    make sure the differential does not take off with out you,
    and good luck :wink:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwWIU...eature=related

  3. #3
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
    Well, as I contemplate this project, after the rebuild of my Nova. A real thought occurred to me. The last time I had this car together, I only ever made one test pass in this car. I had a buddy do all the driving and I was content to turn wrenches and tune on it. That was in the late 80's.

    1978 was probably the last time I made a competitive pass down a drag strip! I was much younger and likey had better reflexes then. It certainly won't be this year before I get it out and if I'm luckey, maybe sometime next.

    I doubt I'll be the last old duffer to try this though. Imagine I'll look mighty silly the first few passes. Got months of work ahead before this becomes a reality.

    My old friend wants back in on this and I'm happy that he and I can do this. This time I want to drive it some. I reckon early on, I'll be the easy win for someone.
    Don't know what you're calling old, but i'm 69 and my friend Jimmy Smith is 65, he runs a protree class, not brackets and rarely has a lite higher than .430 with a 3,000 lb car. He went thru triple bypass surgury in 2006 and sat out that yr. came back in 2007 with vengence and won 2 out of 4 events running up in one and red-liting in the other.
    So don't let age fool you, you are only as old as you feel. I sat out in 2007 due to catarac's, got them fixed in Dec. 07, and now have 20/25 vision. I'm kicking my 6.52/10/59 Malibu to the curb and putting in an injected 434" to run the 9's, and also building a blown alcohol Anglia

    NO more whinning about age, just do it

    Zip.

  4. #4
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nineveh, Indiana
    Posts
    108

    Re: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06

    Don't know what you're calling old, but i'm 69 and my friend Jimmy Smith is 65, he runs a protree class, not brackets and rarely has a lite higher than .430 with a 3,000 lb car. He went thru triple bypass surgury in 2006 and sat out that yr. came back in 2007 with vengence and won 2 out of 4 events running up in one and red-liting in the other.
    So don't let age fool you, you are only as old as you feel. I sat out in 2007 due to catarac's, got them fixed in Dec. 07, and now have 20/25 vision. I'm kicking my 6.52/10/59 Malibu to the curb and putting in an injected 434" to run the 9's, and also building a blown alcohol Anglia

    NO more whinning about age, just do it :D

    Zip.

    Ok, guess you called me on that one. I feel young at the tender age of 53. Like I told my buddy, it would feel good to give some of the youngsters a hard time.

    They have it in other sports, maybe we could get NHRA/IHRA to put in a seniors division!
    Robert Swartz
    Swartz & Lane 1966 Chevy II
    Swartz & Lane 1979 Firebird H/CM
    You don't learn much when everything goes right.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    810
    the only thing you guy,s are to old for, is to get in the track for free, hammer down.!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Staunton, IL
    Posts
    943
    My dad is 60 and runs 10.60's in super pro in an Alston Chassis Monza he built in the mid 80's. He just made his first pass in a rear engine dragster this past year. He had a front engine dragster around 1980. You've got alot of years left.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Staunton, IL
    Posts
    943

    Re: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06

    Don't know what you're calling old, but i'm 69 and my friend Jimmy Smith is 65, he runs a protree class, not brackets and rarely has a lite higher than .430 with a 3,000 lb car. He went thru triple bypass surgury in 2006 and sat out that yr. came back in 2007 with vengence and won 2 out of 4 events running up in one and red-liting in the other.
    So don't let age fool you, you are only as old as you feel. I sat out in 2007 due to catarac's, got them fixed in Dec. 07, and now have 20/25 vision. I'm kicking my 6.52/10/59 Malibu to the curb and putting in an injected 434" to run the 9's, and also building a blown alcohol Anglia

    NO more whinning about age, just do it

    Zip.

    Ok, guess you called me on that one. I feel young at the tender age of 53. Like I told my buddy, it would feel good to give some of the youngsters a hard time.

    They have it in other sports, maybe we could get NHRA/IHRA to put in a seniors division!
    NHRA,AARP Drag Racing. :lol:
    Sponsored by Viagra and Depends
    "We got you covered coming and going" :shock: :lol:

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,143

    Re: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
    Well, as I contemplate this project, after the rebuild of my Nova. A real thought occurred to me. The last time I had this car together, I only ever made one test pass in this car. I had a buddy do all the driving and I was content to turn wrenches and tune on it. That was in the late 80's.

    1978 was probably the last time I made a competitive pass down a drag strip! I was much younger and likey had better reflexes then. It certainly won't be this year before I get it out and if I'm luckey, maybe sometime next.

    I doubt I'll be the last old duffer to try this though. Imagine I'll look mighty silly the first few passes. Got months of work ahead before this becomes a reality.

    My old friend wants back in on this and I'm happy that he and I can do this. This time I want to drive it some. I reckon early on, I'll be the easy win for someone.
    Don't know what you're calling old, but i'm 69 and my friend Jimmy Smith is 65, he runs a protree class, not brackets and rarely has a lite higher than .430 with a 3,000 lb car. He went thru triple bypass surgury in 2006 and sat out that yr. came back in 2007 with vengence and won 2 out of 4 events running up in one and red-liting in the other.
    So don't let age fool you, you are only as old as you feel. I sat out in 2007 due to catarac's, got them fixed in Dec. 07, and now have 20/25 vision. I'm kicking my 6.52/10/59 Malibu to the curb and putting in an injected 434" to run the 9's, and also building a blown alcohol Anglia

    NO more whinning about age, just do it

    Zip.
    DAG GONE....YOU TWO ARE SO OLD YOU PROBABLY FART DUST!! :shock:

    You should build you an alcohol injected wheel chair... :lol:













    I AM ONLY PLAYING... :lol: with age comes wisdom and you obviously know what you are doing based on reading your posts. Just ribbing ya. My father will be 71 next month and he can out work me on his worst day...and he don't even drink ANY caffeine. :lol:

  9. #9
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    ILLINOIS
    Posts
    2,191
    HEY GUYS---I AM 53 AND CAN STILL MAKE THE YOUNG-UNS HURT IN WORKFORCE AND ON THE STRIP!!!!

    AGE DOESN'T HURT AS LONG AS YOU CAN SEE THE TREE :lol: :lol: AND THE BATHROOM DOOR :? :? :lol: :lol:

    LIVELY

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by lively
    HEY GUYS---I AM 53 AND CAN STILL MAKE THE YOUNG-UNS HURT IN WORKFORCE AND ON THE STRIP!!!!

    AGE DOESN'T HURT AS LONG AS YOU CAN SEE THE TREE :lol: :lol: AND THE BATHROOM DOOR :? :? :lol: :lol:

    LIVELY
    Reminds me of the joke what does a senior citizen wear, boxers or jockeys, DEPENDS !!!

    :P

    Zip.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy