Thread: racepump or belt drive??????

racepump or belt drive??????

Can anyone give me a good reason not to run a "racepump" on my drag car? I'm converting to alcohol this year. I already have the carb (rupert's 1150). I still need to convert the rest of my fuel system. The "racepump" seems like a neat little setup, but I don't know anyone running one. I have a 3000lb door car 477ci BBC, 1.32 60', 7900rpm trap, 9.40's in good air on gasoline. Should I go to a front mounted fuel cell? Any input would be appreciated. I just want a good consistent system. I don't want to spend uneccessary money, but I understand you usually get what you pay for. Also any thoughts on keeping the crankcase evacuated?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: racepump or belt drive??????

Quote Originally Posted by jaht1320
    Can anyone give me a good reason not to run a "racepump" on my drag car? I'm converting to alcohol this year. I already have the carb (rupert's 1150). I still need to convert the rest of my fuel system. The "racepump" seems like a neat little setup, but I don't know anyone running one. I have a 3000lb door car 477ci BBC, 1.32 60', 7900rpm trap, 9.40's in good air on gasoline. Should I go to a front mounted fuel cell? Any input would be appreciated. I just want a good consistent system. I don't want to spend uneccessary money, but I understand you usually get what you pay for. Also any thoughts on keeping the crankcase evacuated?
    I am assuming the racepump is the one that mounts in the stock fuel pump location. I've never ran one and never will, a few fellow races got them and had them off in a few weeks because they didnt work worth a crap. Matter fact slowed there cars down a ton. One of them broke already also. No way would I not get a belt drive setup .. you get one and your done, just get a good one.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

hammertime, WHO MAKES A GOOD BELT DRIVE PUMP?

Quote Originally Posted by jaht1320
    hammertime, WHO MAKES A GOOD BELT DRIVE PUMP?
    A few differents that I have used with good luck,
    APD www.apdracing.com
    Ron's www.killerrons.com
    & BLP I am sure they have a website just not sure what.

I've ran all 3 of these and had great luck with all 3, Just make sure when you do this you get a good bypass regulator, I am sure APD and BLP both
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    If you plan for alcohol go with the beltdrive.
    http://www.blp.com/
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

pump

In the late 80s, I had a 468 in a firebird that ran 9.0s with a tunnel ram. I ran the Clay Smith Engineering manuel pump. I think it was rated at 130 gph, gas or alky. I was told it was not enough, Bought the whole Barry Grant 400 deal, and guess what, still 9.0s :shock:

Belt or cam drive pump all the way.

Enderle
    Hilborn
    Waterman
    CSR

and the companies mentioned above. All good products.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com