Gas vs. Alcohol on street

Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default Gas vs. Alcohol on street

I have a 427 with an Enderle birdcatcher, it came off of a rail that supposedly ran 5.11s. I have no idea what the specs are on any of the internals, the heads are cast 3919840, would like to run around 4k stall, pg tranny, 9 inch rear, around 486 gears. I intend on freshening it up before installing it in my '53 Belair, so any top end set up suggestions would be great. I have heard it run, sounded great, sounded like a 5 second motor!! This is my first big block and alky experience, I will need some bits of wisdom and some "been there done that advice" here, since I know very little of either. I need to know if I can run this set up on the street with Vintage Air without any problems? I have no trouble with switching to gas, if that is the case I want to run two fours(750 Holley) on top of the Edelbrock in the picture. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! I added a picture of the set up on my profile, I haven't quite figured out how to put them on here yet. Thanks for reading this. Rudy
Oh yeah, Olds48 is a good dude, he sold me an intake that will work perfect for me! Thanks Eric!!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

BOY OH BOY :lol: ERIC IS SMOOZING THE OTHER RACERS ON HERE NOW :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL LOL ---THAT TAKES AWAY 2 STRIKES FROM YOU ERIC 8) 8) ---LIVELY
Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Gas vs. Alcohol on street

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
I have a 427 with an Enderle birdcatcher, it came off of a rail that supposedly ran 5.11s. I have no idea what the specs are on any of the internals, the heads are cast 3919840, would like to run around 4k stall, pg tranny, 9 inch rear, around 486 gears. I intend on freshening it up before installing it in my '53 Belair, so any top end set up suggestions would be great. I have heard it run, sounded great, sounded like a 5 second motor!! This is my first big block and alky experience, I will need some bits of wisdom and some "been there done that advice" here, since I know very little of either. I need to know if I can run this set up on the street with Vintage Air without any problems? I have no trouble with switching to gas, if that is the case I want to run two fours(750 Holley) on top of the Edelbrock in the picture. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! I added a picture of the set up on my profile, I haven't quite figured out how to put them on here yet. Thanks for reading this. Rudy
Oh yeah, Olds48 is a good dude, he sold me an intake that will work perfect for me! Thanks Eric!!
I think you can run the bird catcher on the street, but you better have one big fuel cell and an idle bypass on it, also plumb fuel into the mainifold VS running it from the hat base, otherwise distribution could be a problem.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default alky

It has two idle bypasses on it, if what you mean is a fuel return line, it is also plumbed in the base of the intake, an Edelbrock 2R, or is it R2? Like I said, new to this kind of set up. Hope I don't look retarded! Like my buddy said, "you'd look retarded on the side of the road if you don't ask".
Hmmmm, noticing both responders names are on that list Olds gave me! Zipper, yep, lively, yep. I dunno!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
BOY OH BOY :lol: ERIC IS SMOOZING THE OTHER RACERS ON HERE NOW :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL LOL ---THAT TAKES AWAY 2 STRIKES FROM YOU ERIC 8) 8) ---LIVELY
Hey,man.You gotta go where the money is :shock: :lol:

Great.So....how many strikes am I still carrying???Lost count :shock:

Thanks Rudy.Hope everything works out for you.I can't help you none because I don't have a clue about hat bases,idle bypasses or anything else concerning rocket science :lol: :lol: I just keep reading and learning!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

http://racecarbook.com/

Buy the book....
Old 03-21-2008, 02:41 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default the book

Thanks for the advice on the book, really just need a few opinions about my thoughts for my street car. I wish I had time to study and read a book of such knowledge, much less understand all the technical stuff in it. It would take me forever to get my car rolling! Thanks anyway, I am an old man, I will find my way through this eventually, as I always do. :?
Rudy
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I've run alky on the street for years.

Had a 462 with an alky dominator, short deck, no fill, with a Moroso electric water pump drive and plastic mechanical fan.

We'd literally drive it all over town on 90F degree days without the water pump even being on.

As for the book. It's written in the most simplistic terms that ANYONE who can tell the difference between a 1/2 and 9/16 wrench can understand. It's packed full of knowledge and easy to understand formulas that will help you be successful right at fire up.

But, if you prefer to guess, by all means, have at it. It'll cost more than the book and time to read it.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default alcohol book

thanks for the info. I am going to order the book, it appeared to me to be for the advanced induction technician. I certainly can use a book that "spells it out for me". Absolutely right, I can waste lots of time, not to mention money for guessing. I cannot wait to get this badboy rolling!! Thanks again! I can't wait to fill that 20 gallon fuel cell with that $5 bucks a gallon alcohol! Rudy
Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

We want to see it!!There is a show off section,ya know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -