best used ford car to get a start in racing?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
limp1969
SHOW GUEST

Default best used ford car to get a start in racing?

Hi i am a ford guy have a 1970 428scj 4speed a 1965 2+2 fastback 289 4v 4 speed and a 03 mustang cobra.
I want to start racing 1/4 mile how ever i am a collector and will not race any of my original cars.

I would like to start with a 11sec type car I have raced my cobra a few times and it ran mid 12s that was stock now it has exhaust,headers,intake,pully, better tires etc i would guess it would run high 11s

I was looking at 95-96 or earlier mustangs gt looking for something with higher miles. Something I wouldnt feel so bad about gutting, kinda beat up inside and out.(around $2500) Wanted to know if this is a good start or not,
Here is what I wanted to do:
4.6l or 5.0 auto gt
get rid of all smog ,open exhaust , slicks, nitrous,tune correct, gears, sub frame connectors ??? and of course what ever safety stuff is needed?
Blow the thing up and then start over with a new engine?
Where will be my weak points(rear end,transmission,bottom end) and what will the car run?
Can you get more power running race fuels in a stock motor/ can it be tuned for it? What is the best way to get more compression? Mill heads or do you have to change pistons

My other thought was a cobra 32v motor.

Just looking for any feed back what I am dumb about or smart would like to have $7k or so in it to start.
I do know that you can buy something cheaper than building it your self to so if anyone has idea please let me know.
Thanks Jeff
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
andychops
SHOW GUEST

I'm in the same boat, looking to get into racing on a budget. I'm sure most guys start out the same way and work their way up with time, money, and experience.

For now I'm just looking to build something to take to the local track and smoke all the Nissan low-riders, and go from there.

What's a good year Mustang to start with that has the most bang for the buck? Any tips or starting points from you veterans for putting together a track-ready car for under 10 grand would be much appreciated.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM
rsrsfishslayers
MASTER BUILDER

Take it from me spend the money and buy a car that is ready to race you can pick up a trun key 12 or 13 sec mustang for under 5k. I made the misstake of building one when I got to 10k and it was only truning 11s I had to stop. So take it for what its worth if you can aford 5k there is a mustang out there for you.
CPT.RON
Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM
andychops
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by rsrsfishslayers
Take it from me spend the money and buy a car that is ready to race you can pick up a trun key 12 or 13 sec mustang for under 5k. I made the misstake of building one when I got to 10k and it was only truning 11s I had to stop. So take it for what its worth if you can aford 5k there is a mustang out there for you.
CPT.RON
That's kinda what I was thinking. Found a '89 5.0 LX hatchback online that "runs real good" for only $2300. Seems like a good starter for a race car. Figure I can start with that and build on it.

What do you guys think is the overall best year(s) Mustang in regards to having the most race-ready stock components?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

Ford guy? go with the fox bodys. 87 to 93...tons of components.
Here's the thing...most guys dump a crapload into their car say like 25 to 30K engine, tranny, rear, suspension, lightening, etc.. They will never get out of it what they put in. So my opinion is look for a complete roller with all the goodies, and put in a BB or stroker and a PA Supercomp. You can probably get a good roller for 5K, the engine 7-10K, and tranny 2.5K. You got a 10-11 sec car for under 15K. Another way is to look for one of these guys who got bored with their Foxbody. They are a dime a dozen, so they they dumped in all the cash and now can't get out from underneath it and will usually let it go for 15K or less.
7K your only gonna have say a 12 or 13 sec car.

JMO
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Definetly get you a 88 or newer V8 mustang with the much stronger 8.8 rearend. I prefer the notch backs because they are lighter but they are getting harder and harder to find fro that very reason.
I looked in the want ads on here and seen quite a few mustang rollers.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

My brother has a '94 Mustang and they are heavier (read slower) than the 87-93 style and they also have a different style of computer that isn't as racer friendly as the 87-93 style. So he does recommend staying away from the 94'-95 style.

Getting one that someone has already started is a good idea, because of the front struts, rear suspension pieces, gears, and other items. When you do pick a car, look to try and get one that already has the 5 lug wheels. They can be converted with wheel bearings and rotors, but that is an added expense.

Bill M
Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
joeready
SHOW GUEST

hey andychops check out add 115507 what you want and more for great price check it out