turbo setup ???'s for my sbc 350

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
bighroder
SHOW GUEST

Default turbo setup ???'s for my sbc 350

Ok to discribe my project: pretty much a beater right now. i own and drive a 1987 GMC s15 I was going to sell it and move on to something 5 speed, but with no luck, I am building it. I was also worried about room and found a cab and 1/2 for sale cheap that i might pickup and change over, it is going to look weird but if i move the motor back in a reg cab I wouldnt be able to drive it, as i am 6'6" tall.

So my question is that i have a 350 that was just rebuilt to pretty much stock, lunati cam, weind intake, and a edelbrock 650cfm carb. I want to go turbo space is not a problem the motor is getting pushed back.

Now what would i have to do to the engine internally (RUNNING LOW BOOSTS) something like 7-12 psi, do i have to get a roller cam?

Could i use a turbo kit for like a honda or something and fabricate piping?

Could i use the 650 carb?

Do you use both a BOV and a waste-gate and what is the difference

And last twin or single turbo?

sorry for it being so long and these have probably been asked before but i realy have never built anything that isnt NA. I am hoping to keep this fairly cheap something hopfully under a grand for the parts and then do everything else myself.

thanks zeth
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
bighroder
SHOW GUEST

i guess no one has tried to boost a sbc with a home made kit before?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Or nobody has read this thread who has done it from the time you posted it originally and 9 hours later when you replied.

Patience.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

there has been a bunch of homemade stuff built from members on this site..some true pioneers of the sport hang out here among other hobbies, crafts and professions........hang out a while and you will see.

i read your post and the reason i didn't reply is when i read the $1,000 budget thing..i shook my head and went on...you can't even get a good blow thru turbo carb for $1,000..for this type motor your dreaming of..

hey don't get me wrong dreaming is good..but ya gotta get real sometime also....

..Keeping it real...How about taking that 350ci you have, get some MINOR bowl work done on the heads and change your cam..thats what your $1,000 will get ya.......just keeping it real..

My Opinion.....

Anyone else ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: turbo setup ???'s for my sbc 350

Originally Posted by bighroder
Ok to discribe my project: pretty much a beater right now. i own and drive a 1987 GMC s15 I was going to sell it and move on to something 5 speed, but with no luck, I am building it. I was also worried about room and found a cab and 1/2 for sale cheap that i might pickup and change over, it is going to look weird but if i move the motor back in a reg cab I wouldnt be able to drive it, as i am 6'6" tall.

So my question is that i have a 350 that was just rebuilt to pretty much stock, lunati cam, weind intake, and a edelbrock 650cfm carb. I want to go turbo space is not a problem the motor is getting pushed back.
Now what would i have to do to the engine internally (RUNNING LOW BOOSTS) something like 7-12 psi, Forged pistons, good Rods and a Froged Crankshaft would be a good idea.

do i have to get a roller cam? No

Could i use a turbo kit for like a honda or something and fabricate piping? Yes

Could i use the 650 carb? Possibly

Do you use both a BOV and a waste-gate and what is the difference ???

And last twin or single turbo? Yes

sorry for it being so long and these have probably been asked before but i realy have never built anything that isnt NA. I am hoping to keep this fairly cheap something hopfully under a grand for the parts and then do everything else myself.

thanks zeth[/quote]
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

One guy at my local track used a turbo off a Ford Powerstroke on his 5.0 fox body.He actually used a coffee can for the hood on top of the carb!!!!Cam sounds VERY tame in the motor,car runs low 6s.Very cool!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys..no doubt a person can make some of this work...
but i think the BIG RUB here has been over looked...

he wants this done with parts being under $1,000...he spelled out 'GRAND" but its there in his post....

i could have went into a long list of things for him to do to his 350ci....but the 1k cap still has me shaking my head...

if you guys can do this for under 1k...please call me..i will pm my #...i am doing something VERY WRONG OVER HERE.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Under a grand?Start tearing up some junk yards!!I personally don't think a turbo off of a Honda or any other 4 banger would have the capacity to feed a decent V8.I'm no turbo engineer,but kinda seems like it wouldn't work.But,then again,maybe two of them would.Two would drive the cost up,though.??????Sounds like you need to find an old wrecked deisel
Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
prostreet1972
JOURNEYMAN

from what I have learned you can use the 4 banger and import turbos, but you will need 2 of them. I was going to use 2 off of the nissan sr20det motors, but never got around to finding the matching turbo. Rule of thumb is to equal close to 5.7l....like 2 turbos off of 2.5l would equal 5.0, two 3.0l turbos equal 6.0. So the sr20det turbos would be a little small, only 2.0liters, but I was just going to see what would happen. I bet you could make budget yourself around a grand. buy used stuff and not name brand. Don't know how efficient it will be or how long it will last, but it will give you knowledge for the next project.

my 2 cents.

Travis
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I bet this was done under a grand, lmao.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -