Spraying a 358" pst engine????

Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
mrbovien
SHOW GUEST

Default Spraying a 358" pst engine????

Just got a Pst truck with a 358" pst engine basic the same setup as they ran in the pst class some years ago... exept running a glide instead of a liberty, Im running a headsup class were the index is 7.6. im currentli runnig 7.8-8.0 but does any one know if the engine would like say 50 -75 shot of nitroz, i know it is all build so light to take the rpmĀ“s but i just need to get it 2 tens faster, but spraying a small engine at 9500rpm sounds a little dangerous for me. Thanks

Ps. My fist time posting here great site...
Old 03-08-2008, 01:12 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

If the engine is built to take almost 10K rpm I highly doubt a measley 75 shot of NOS would hurt it, I say spray it. Your gonna pick up the most numbers on the front end anyway, spray it right off the line and then let out of it when it gets wound up. JMO
><Cp
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Famous last words

If the engine is built to take almost 10K rpm I highly doubt a measley 75 shot of NOS would hurt it
If you have a true NHRA 358 Pro Stock engine that was competitive, I very strongly suggest to forget any nitrous spraying. Those things were on the ragged edge of detonation just as they were. Same with the BB N/A NHRA Pro Stock Engines, or Comp Eliminator Engines etc. If a strong N/A Engine is built by a good engine builder for max effort horsepower, it is already living in the danger zone of detonation. I build a very good N/A max effort engine and if you had one, I will tell you to forget any nitrous.

What you might be able to do though is to increase your head gasket thickness by a lot, advance your cam to open exhaust valves sooner, install bigger, Decrease you exhaust valve lash so it is near the minimum (giving more effective exhaust duration) and try that with juice starting fairly small, keep sharp eye on plugs and get a good tune up and gradually increase what you are spraying as long as you can keep detonation away.

Ed
Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
mrbovien
SHOW GUEST

well i dont realy know if the engine is a "true" pro stock engine, i bought the car with the engine package, and they have just used it for bracket racing, but i have dyno that says 865hp with 1.6 ratio arm rockers and it should make 940 with the 1.7 and 1.8, i know the compression is 15.8, and your right about the detonation, but i was hoping that some timing retard and change cam duration, could make it run with a small amount of spray. I have orderd a o2 sensor kit, so maybe that could help me tune it up. thanks for your replies.....
Bovien
Denmark