starter and flywheel trouble

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
ejgates
SHOW GUEST

Default starter and flywheel trouble

ok, i did an initial start up on a new project the other night, everything went well. went to stat it again a day later and the starter gear would not mate up to the flywheel properly. it would engage and then immediately start to strip. i cant tell if it is binding or not mating tight enough??? all bolts are tight, nothing changed from initial start, i'm stumped. anybody seen this before???
Old 03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
a13badazztoys
APPRENTICE

how fast did it start on the initial start up ?? and did you start it more then once?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

It's to late to tell now but when you change out the starter and flywheel and install new ones. When you bolt them on pull the starter gear into the flywheel with a screw driver. When the teeth are engaged you should have a gap on the engaged teeth that you can fit tightly a 1/8 inch rod into. If it's too tight to do this you need to shim the starter down until it fit's snug, that will give you the proper engagment, it it's a GM type starter, Fords are different.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 AM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default starter

One trick I have always done is to leave the batt. cable off the starter and use a jumper wire from a 12V source, touch it to the start terminal on the solenoid and check the engagement that way. You can see how deep the pinion engages the flywheel, and use the paper clip method to set the clearance. 8) JB
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
It's to late to tell now but when you change out the starter and flywheel and install new ones. When you bolt them on pull the starter gear into the flywheel with a screw driver. When the teeth are engaged you should have a gap on the engaged teeth that you can fit tightly a 1/8 inch rod into. If it's too tight to do this you need to shim the starter down until it fit's snug, that will give you the proper engagment, it it's a GM type starter, Fords are different.

JMO

Zip.
i did this very same thing with my 632ci 2 weeks ago..( didn't have the 1/8 pin to double check) but i eye balled it and it was about that....i ended up having to shim starter down a good bit......i use needle nose pleirs and pulled out the starter gear into the flywheel and looked at it good...keep shiming and checking until the gear start gear pulles into the fly wheel with no issues...you can lay on your back and see how far the starter teeth falls into the fly wheel...as zip said about 1/8 is about right...

this can be time consuming if you do not get luckey off the start but will be well worth your time.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
peewee101
SHOW GUEST

Everyone is right about moving the starter drive in to check mesh, but if nothing changed I would pull the spark plugs and crank it. If it cranks over fine you may have other issues.