1/4" line big enough for 600hp??

Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Default 1/4" line big enough for 600hp??

Hi guys, great day out today (30*f) and I just dropped the fiero gas tank out, getting ready to convert everything over to e85 and I am hoping to still use the stock fiero in-tank pickup with an external aftermarket fuel pump but the fiero pickup has a 1/4" ID fuel line. do you think this will be big enough to support 600hp of e85?? if not, I will need to have it feed a 2-gal fuel cell and have the fuel cell feed the engine with 8-an line as a resovoir.

also, does anybody know if Holley Blue and Black pumps are Ethanol safe? I know they cant do Methanol but Ethanol is a lot less corrosive then Meth.

thanks ahead of time. 8)
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I would not use less than 3/8. What about soldering or brazing a bigger tube into the sending unit?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

thanks, I could probably do that but re-using it is manily just for convinience and one less thing to do since it is already done. putting in a bigger line might be easier then trying to fit a fuel cell in the engine bay, If I have to put a bigger one in there, should I be safe and go as big as 1/2"? bigger? I am not sure how much nitrous I am going to need later on, it may be as much as 800hp when I am done.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

If NOS is involved, definitely go 1/2". While Ethanol is less trouble, look for a methanol compatible pump.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:47 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
If NOS is involved, definitely go 1/2". While Ethanol is less trouble, look for a methanol compatible pump.
What he said .. bigger is better in this case.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

make it bigger now instead of wishing later.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

3/8" minimum mandatory. You can't have too big of a fuel line, only too small.

As for a fuel pump, the Carter electric pumps (if they've not changed the design) are one piece, submersing the rotor in fuel. The only seal that can possibly leak is the main seal (crimped) which holds the pump halves together. Really a neat design, as it keeps the pump motor cool.

While the Carter pumps are not rated for Meth, I have run meth with them for years prior to moving to mechanical injection.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would weld a sump kit into the tank. Put two bungs in it for -8 or -10 fitings.You can then run the stainless aeroquip hose or get the cloth looking braided stuff...it is good stuff and cheaper than the stainless. If you only use one of the fitings just plug the other..and if ever you want to run a dedicated fuel pump for the NOS the fiting is there. It is easy to do. Put it in the lowest/ most rearward spot on the tank.Don't just cut a big hole for the sump, use a big hole saw and cut a bunch of holes where the sump will go..this will act like a sloch baffle sorta...Wash the tank out extra well with hot soapy water before you weld it...for obvious reasons you want to be sure the fumes are all gone. I suppose you could put a hose in the tank and fill it with Argon while you weld..that should help prevent any problems if you are afraid to weld on it. I did one in my street car years ago and had no problems welding it..but I washed it out about a million times first. I made my own sump but you can buy them as a kit.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Tod;

I like the idea of the slosh baffling with the hole saw.

My only concern is this... What happens if debris gets into the baffled area?

How do you go about washing it out?

Just a thought....
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

That's a good question... :? ....lol

When I did mine I think I used like an inch and a quarter hole saw..it was years ago so I am not sure...I know it was a prety big hole saw. I then filled it with hot soapy water and sloshed it around and dumped it...did that several times then blew it out with air hose.Only reason I went that rout is because It was a nice 72 Chevelle street car and I didn't want to put a fuel cell in it because the way those cars sit the tank is visible and I figured it would look funy with no tank. I used -8 stainless line with a Mallory 140 pump and I had the filter mounted between the tank and pump never had any problems. I still have the car but I never drive it. It was my first car and I could never bring myself to sell it. It sits in my parents garage covered up. ( I am 33 almost 34)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -