Scam from another board

Old 02-12-2008, 06:59 AM
ron19
APPRENTICE

Default Scam from another board

Hey all, I just had to share this, it's too funny! I posted a chassis for sale on another board and some scammer using the Nigerian scam contacted me to buy with a cashiers check and there would be frieght involved. I've copied our e-mails here, I'll update if he responds back....LOL.

From Scammer:

Pierce roller

Hello What's the Final asking price you will be willing to let it go off excluding transportation.

And where are you located i will be willing to pay you in a chashier's check money order if you are willing to accept it ....if so please do send me your full contact details where you want me to send payment to asap including your phone number.

Thanks awaiting your immediate kindest and favourable Response.

Best regards

To Scammer:

No cashiers check, only cash on the spot. You will have to bring $100,000 US, with the following break down:

$50,000 in large unmarked bills
$50,000 in small ($50,$20) unmarked bills.

I will specify the drop point, in which you will be contacted only 1 hour previous to the expected drop. After which you will receive instructions on where to pick up the part.

Do NOT involve the FBI, Local, State or Federal Authorities and do not be followed.

Do we have an understanding?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

:lol: tee hee I never respond to those type of scams... Im not even sure why people even waste their time with those anymore, they are so well known nobody ever pays attention to them. awsome responce 8)
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Not to alarm you but

I agree your response was amusing, but I believe its better just to click the spam button on your email and delete-why?

Every time you respond to one of those scams, you have given them a bit of info-They now know its an active email address. They might have your name. They may have logged your ip address if its static and you dont use dial-up, and there are databases which can add supplementary info, on IP and registered users.

The internet makes finding info pretty darn easy.

Now I am not necessarily talking about identity theft, but if a scammer has enough info, they will use it to perpetuate the scam.

The best advice with these is to report to the moderator wherever possible, code as spam and then delete-Just becuase the English is awkward or the grammar suspect, does not make these people stupid.

Resist the temptation to play with them, protect yourself and let them fish elsewhere.

My two cents only,

later.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Not to alarm you but

Originally Posted by Scorpion1110
I agree your response was amusing, but I believe its better just to click the spam button on your email and delete-why?

Every time you respond to one of those scams, you have given them a bit of info-They now know its an active email address. They might have your name. They may have logged your ip address if its static and you dont use dial-up, and there are databases which can add supplementary info, on IP and registered users.

The internet makes finding info pretty darn easy.

Now I am not necessarily talking about identity theft, but if a scammer has enough info, they will use it to perpetuate the scam.

The best advice with these is to report to the moderator wherever possible, code as spam and then delete-Just becuase the English is awkward or the grammar suspect, does not make these people stupid.

Resist the temptation to play with them, protect yourself and let them fish elsewhere.

My two cents only,

later.
Interesting, Your a pretty fart smeller, I mean pretty smart fellar scorpion.....lol
I never really thought I was doing myself any harm or perpetuating the scam by playing with them back, next time I'll know what to do and move along.

Thx, Charles
Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Charles, compliments will get yiou everywhere

I am only sharing what I have heard and read-It seems that alot of spam is an information grab of anykind. I always had the same inclination as Ron19, to mess with the spammers and scammers.

The problem is that alot of this stuff is generated by "bots" also called autobots or auto-responders, so sometimes this stuff never is seen by a real body its just cycled by a computer program.

I am not an expert; it just seems that being smart, coding them as spam and hitting the delete button is as much a body blow as sending them an email.

Just a few things to think about,

later.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:02 PM
farrigno
JOURNEYMAN

Default huh?

ok, not to sound like a dumb ass, but how is that a nigerian scam? and for that matter what the hell is a NIGERIAN scam, I'm not sure i see a scam here...maybe I'm just confused can somebody shed some light on this type of scam? :?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default scams

Just type in Nigerian scams Some of them good looking women on Yahoo and other sites with an American address is in Nigeria. :wink: A lot of it involves fake money orders, which you cash with no problem, most tellers just cash them, and later is taken out your account. Also dont wire anything Western Union. Once its done its gone.Also check out the way the add is written,its a dead giveaway.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
farrigno
JOURNEYMAN

ok thanks for the insight :wink: