Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tempermental 700r4

Junior Member APPRENTICE

tempermental 700r4

i have a 1990 camaro 350 tpi 700r4, 4.10 posi
    when i take off like normal " like old people" it shifts firm and what seems to be on time, when i shift it manually through the gears it shifts hard enough to chirp the tires, but when i put it in drive it takes forever for it to shift. going from 2 to 3 it feels like it runs out of useable rpms then shifts and feels like i kicked the nos on. whats the problem????
    gas is on the right
    brakes are for p#ssy's

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Does that model have a governer?If it was a TH350 or 400 I'd say that was it.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    Sounds like the TV or (throttle valve) is sticking. There used to be a cable that went from the throttle body or carb to the transmission. This cable controls a valve that works against the govenor pressure to determine when the trans shifts. TV gets it's pressure from the line pressure of the trans, the more throttle the more the TV opens to prevent the govenor pressure from shifting the valve. This cable can be adjusted to control the shift points. The govenor could also be sticking or be bad.
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercon...junkresize.jpg

WOW! :shock: Blittle kinda-sorta agreed with me!I feel smart! :P
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Most 700R4 issues stem from the TV area, either sticking valve or more likely misadjusted cable. It is very important to get it right as this controls line pressure as well. If someone has installed a shift kit, it further complicates things. Some work fine, some not so well. It is best to find an experienced performance trans shop to help get it under control. This isn't always easy either....
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    i have tried adjusting the tv cable it didnt make no difference, i am going to put a new filter and fluid in it, is there any fluid i need to stay away from or any i need to get?? i do not know any thing about 700r4 trannys
    gas is on the right
    brakes are for p#ssy's

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olds48
    BLITTLE PROBABLY HAD A HICCUP AT THAT TIME :lol: :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    Quote Originally Posted by lively
    Quote Originally Posted by olds48
    BLITTLE PROBABLY HAD A HICCUP AT THAT TIME :lol: :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY
    Awww now, when a flella's on track, he's on track!
    :wink:
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    Quote Originally Posted by hughesis21
    i have tried adjusting the tv cable it didnt make no difference, i am going to put a new filter and fluid in it, is there any fluid i need to stay away from or any i need to get?? i do not know any thing about 700r4 trannys
    If adjusting the cable made no differeance then it probably is the throttle valve or circiut. If you don't know anything about it I would have it checked by a good trans shop. Those are few and far between though!

Thomas Jefferson