23 deg heads

Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 PM
ima400
APPRENTICE

Default 23 deg heads

hi guys what is the best 23 deg head on the market , i have a 414 cui sbc that makes 675 hp with a set of afr227cc heads on it , i would like to know your opinion .
cheers CHRIS
Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Best 23 Degree Head that uses standard componets is the AFR 227's
They actually can be made better with some port work. I had Rons Porting port a set of the fully cnc'd from afr heads worth 2 tenths on my combo.

IMO The best head 23 degree is All Pro but if I remember correct it takes special stuff to use these heads. http://www.allproheads.com/
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I agree the 227's are the best 23 deg head. I also have them on my 409, you can have more work done to them and they will flow about 370 cfm on the intake. Any more than that and you need some 18 deg stuff.
8)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Default AFR heads

You have the best heads right now, as long as they are the eliminator series.
They might not make the most peak power, but what we see on the dyno is they make the best horsepower and torque averages threw the rpm band.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
ima400
APPRENTICE

ok , im from australia , who could achive figures like that & what would that port job cost . ?

what would a decent set of 18deg heads cost & what sort of numbers would they go ?

any advice would be apreciated im just trying to work out if its worth the money to change heads , compaird to the horse power gain .

cheers chris
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Depends who you have port them I've paid locals $300-500 and they do decent work, but have paid $1200 and seen awesome work from it.

There is a lot more to that change then just going to 18* heads, pistons,headers,intake,rockers,. If you want to spend the money I'd think you be better off with some 15 degree heads.

How much are you looking to gain ?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I will respectfully disagree. The best head, dollar for dollar, is my ported version of the Dart Platinumn 230, as far as standard port 23 degree heads go. On a stout 414 drag motor, they would make more power.

Hammertime, here is some food for thought. YOu have got decent work, from locals, paying around $500, and as you describe awesome work, by sending them off, and paying $1200. Have you ever talked to the local guy, about his awesome work? Its possible, they don;t fully understand all the dynamics, and do just the basics, and charge $500, knowing, that minor work will improve it. Its funny to me, that local guys to me, are willing to spend that $500-$750 amount for porting, but, when I mention what I can actualy do to the heads, obviously for more money, they won;t do it. But, they will send them off, because in their mind, that guy has a big name, or has solicited himself to death on internet forumns, and has a "name", so he must be better. But, when its all said and done, my customers are beating them at the track .Then, do to the beauty of the internet, I get guys that find me, and send me their heads, and let me have creative freedom with them, and, low and behold, they are described as awesome. I do have my fair share of local guys, that do let me get creative, and, the comments on their engines, and how their cars runs is usualy, "What heads are those?" no way, they can;t run that good, they are just old Track1's, or some old Pro-1's, or even some old Edelbrock Performer Rpm's. Its stamped right in the front. Or some old AFR 190's, as thats on the front too. I can tell you more storied than I count, how guys get SO mad, when they get beat, by someone that has some heads that aren;t supposed to run fast, especially as fast as them, because of what heads they have, compared to some "old" Performer rpm's. But, they do, and beat them. I get great personal satisfaction from that. Depending on what a guy is trying to do, its cost effective in many many cases, to midify your existing heads, if they are half way decent to start. If your trying to win a all out heads up class, well, then, a set of heavily worked Perf. Rpm's wouldn;t be the best bet, and I would know that, and then stear him in the right dircetion to the correct head, that would give him a chance, I am not going to BS the guy, to make the money, for him to be mad, and bad mouth me. I want the guy to be fast, if I work on it.

My point is, most heads, with the right work, can make killer power. I prove that to guys all the time. You have a set of this or thats, they can be improved, I gaurentee you. Welding, sleeving, epoxy, bigger valves, etc, can do some amazing things, and, it usualy costs less than new heads. And even if it is a bit more, when its all done, I gaurenttee, the totaly modified head, will trounce a generic cnc out of the box head. I personaly, and am not the only one, don;t care much for the AFR heads. their port designs, work alright, but, definately respond to work. On another sight, I seen where tony mamo, was telling a guy, that a much smaller head, would be better for his already under-headed engine, a stout 406, that it would be more streetable? Can anyone define streetable? More part throttle, off idle tq perhaps, at 1500? Who fricken cares!!. Again, that guy, has pre platinumn Pro-1 215's, un-ported, and he describes the thing as an absolute tq monster. Would putting a head thats 20cc smaller, be a good move, when he wants more hp up top? No. He would be VERY disapointed, when the car ran no faster, or slower likely. $500 dollars worth of work on the heads he has, I gaurentee, would make more power, without loosing any tq, than the 195cc head. Anyhow

For ima400, you already have a good canvas to start with, you would be smart to work what you already have. Again, with creative porting, and modifications, you would be amazed. Its possible to make 750+hp, with what you already have. If you bought the Eliminator 227's, how much power do you think you would gain? You would be very disapointed with the gain. It would be very small, for the money you spent. However, spending half that amount, on the heads you have, would make a MUCh bigger difference. To the tune of 50-75 or more hp.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Frank, my locals guys for $500 were giving me there best work IMO It really did show on the track with having a bigger name shop do them. I am not saying you wouldnt do a good job on heads for your locals. Just the local talent on heads for me isnt the best, for me to send them out is a better deal to gain more power.

Case in point you like the Dart Plat. 230, I have good friend that live right down the road who has them on his 406, local guy did some port work to them he told him how he opened them up and what not and they did flow a little better but still I didnt think it should run like it should. He took it to another builder further away and gained 75hp by letting him work on them some more.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

I do agree, with some port work the dart heads perform very well, we take the 215 pro 1 heads with our full port job we get them to flow over 315cfm at .600 on our flow bench.
But for out of the box heads, AFR heads are still on the top of the list for the head to buy.
Chevy High performance has proved this for how many years now with there independent testing.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

I have been in the hunt for the best heads for the buck and found that there are a bunch. It's true some magic can be done with so called lesser heads.
Allpro's seem to have the best flow, but as you said it is not all about flow numbers.
For your best bet I think, go with 18 degree heads, Self racing has a set of Clone oval port brodix that fully assembled go for $3500.00
intake flow at .700 is 420 cfm. pretty impressive. On a pretty stout 427 block they make over 930 hp.
I would say, well worth the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -