PINION ANGLE

Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default PINION ANGLE

i have a ladder bar coil over set up in my nova what do you guys like to see . as it sits right now im running 1 deg nose down on the pinion.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I like any where from 2 to 4
Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Is pinion angle measuered in relationship to the ground,or the driveshaft?Never can get a straight answer.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Pinion angle

Setting the pinion angle is covered at the following site. Several professional builders explain their views.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html

Hope this will help.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Wouldn't adding negative angle to your pinion,to compensate for housing rotation,be a moot point on a ladder bar or 4 link car?If the housing is mounted rigidly on solid bars with solid rod ends,it CAN'T rotate.Looks like you would need to set it up for however much your car would squat if your are trying to align everything under load.And that would be next to impossible to predict.Never has made good common sense to me.Maybe one day I'll learn ops:
Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

A ladder bar does rotate in relation to the trans and driveshaft, to a lesser degree a 4-link does as well. 2 to 3 degrees down is fine in a 4-link, try to hit 4 on a ladder bar.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 PM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

thanks guys . from the sounds of things im gona have to try a few different angles and see what the car likes . your help and knowledge is very much appreiciated.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

Ok If it's right or not, this is the way I see it. Pinion angle is not going to give you big gains in traction only small gains in freeing up friction in u joints and pinion and trans tail shaft bearings. What I hear it would be a stretch to get 5% gain over badly matched angles. If you was to draw a straight line from tail shaft to pinion, use that as a base line and try for even amounts of difference on each end. If pinion was 2 degrees down from that line, you would ideally like tail shaft to be 2 degrees up. You will generally get a little movement in a ladder or 4 bar so if you have a little more down it will take the slack up under pressure. You do not want either u joint with no angle because they can get bad harmonics. From not rolling them little needle bearings it will cause premature wear and loose joints. The harmonics are transfered into pinion bearing and tail shaft bearing causing premature wear also.

The Idea that there is a magic pinion angle came from the days of leaf spring cars and pinion snubbers. The pinion angle then could determine your anti squat line depending on how fast or slow it hit the snubber. If it hit it fast your front part of spring didn't wrap into an S so bad and changed the angle between contact patch and front spring mount. Maybe a little more complicated than that when you start moving snubber also.
Hope that clears it up.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with Bubstr,makes sense to me