Thread: 406 engine

Junior Member APPRENTICE

406 engine

Hi all

I am new in 406 engine and recently I decide to order 406 rotating kit 3.75" crank shaft with 6"conecting rod H beam. Do I need to order low base circle camshaft to avoid hitting connecting rod with camshaft like 383 engine or normal base camshaft work fine.

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    I would order the small base circle cam.
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercon...junkresize.jpg

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I've built a number of 406's and 383's with h-beam 6" rods and roller cams and have always used standard base circle. The only problem I've experienced was the first 406 I built. It had stock 5.7 rods and a small solid cam. I had to grind the cam side rod bolt heads to gain the necessary clearance. I'm pretty sure that most h-beam rods are profiled to gain the necessary clearance. You'll need to check it just in case.....

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    Quote Originally Posted by johnracer
    I've built a number of 406's and 383's with h-beam 6" rods and roller cams and have always used standard base circle. The only problem I've experienced was the first 406 I built. It had stock 5.7 rods and a small solid cam. I had to grind the cam side rod bolt heads to gain the necessary clearance. I'm pretty sure that most h-beam rods are profiled to gain the necessary clearance. You'll need to check it just in case.....
    I had the same problem with my first one back in 84. Now I just get the smaller base circle as a precaution. A little more clearance in this area can't hurt!
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercon...junkresize.jpg

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400
    I had the same problem with my first one back in 84. Now I just get the smaller base circle as a precaution. I little more clearance in this area can't hurt!
    Me too.

Ed
    " Let all things that hath breath, praise the Lord. Praise Ye the Lord" Psalms 150 vs 6.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Re: 406 engine

Quote Originally Posted by amal
    Hi all

I am new in 406 engine and recently I decide to order 406 rotating kit 3.75" crank shaft with 6"conecting rod H beam. Do I need to order low base circle camshaft to avoid hitting connecting rod with camshaft like 383 engine or normal base camshaft work fine.
    You will not need a small base circle camshaft

7. Racing Junk