Pro's n cons 4 a gooosneck

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Pro's n cons 4 a gooosneck

Im about to make a jump in trailer size so the golf cart will fit. I got a 24 ft now. Im looking at 38-40 ft goosnecks and make the front the sleeping berth. I'll be backing it down and around the culdesac w/ cars on both sides.Its no problem now but just wondering how the goosneck backs up compared to a tag.
I pull w/ a 05 Dodge 4x4 cummins dullie. Jut turned 13k miles.

Craig
Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Prior to the motorhome we pulled a 48 foot vintage with living quarters. Turning radias is sharper and it will turn a lot faster. Towing it you will see less sway from it versus the tag. You can travel and unhook from your living quarters and go to town versus a motorhome that would be difficult to do that with. The only downsize, small living quarters makes for a long weekend if you have several people camping out with you.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 AM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default gn

I have a 28' tag now but am looking to do something similar at some point. There's no comparison towing that GN down the highway, you hardly know it's there. It will turn shorter and park in tight places with a little practice. Don't see any negatives in what you're doing. Only wish I had the $$ to do it too! 8) JB
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 AM
insane4fbodys
SENIOR BUILDER

The only bad thing I can say is first thing to watch with a GN over a tag is they cut quicker. Meaning that if your close to a ditch or something on the side walk, turning the truck close to the curb will result in embarassment. ops: Found this out the hard way with a 36' GN with a tractor on it. But now then besides my 20' tag car trailer wouldn't have anything but a GN
Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

You can park them in a tight spot providing you have plenty of room to manuver your truck, otherwise the tag is better int this regard. Also if you have a short bed truck, be sure you get the extended hitch on the GN or when you cut it the corner of the trailer will nock out your back glass and dent up the cab.

They do pull nice though.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
SPEEDNEEDS1
SENIOR BUILDER

Is that Billy Smith's old camaro. I have raced against it alot at Mountain Park Dragway.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blittle
You can park them in a tight spot providing you have plenty of room to manuver your truck, otherwise the tag is better int this regard. Also if you have a short bed truck, be sure you get the extended hitch on the GN or when you cut it the corner of the trailer will nock out your back glass and dent up the cab.

They do pull nice though.
X2 on what Bill said, I too have a 38'haulmark GN and a 3+3 dually its a nice way to go but I am going back to a tag so I can haul my racecar with the motorhome.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

What's the difference between a goose neck and fifth wheel?I know how to tell them apart,just wondering as far as pulling one.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Scotty2
SENIOR BUILDER

goose has a 2 5/16 ball fifth is a 2" pin
Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Does one drive better or cost more than the other?I'm a po'boy so I'm stuck with a tag trailer either way.Just was always curious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -