Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Going BBC

  1. #1

    Going BBC

    I figure it's time to switch to a bbc. I'd like about 10:1, Dart 9.8 Big M,brodix 2xtra heads, and so on. My first question is how many ci can you get out of the 9.8 deck dart. I'd like a 598 4.5x4.6 with a 6.535+ rod, and flat top pistons, is that possible with the 9.8 deck?

  2. #2
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    184
    588 is about the biggest from a 9.8 deck. Thats a 4.375 crank, and a 4.625 bore.

    Frank
    Advanced performance
    www.get-ap.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    if i was u,id keep in mind that with a lot of chevy crossmembers,getting a tall deck in is a pain in da rear!!!if not impossible.if you have a tube chassis car then crossmember doesnt apply!!!BONUS!!! but lots of 540 shot block kits out there if your on a budget!short block 540 start at about 3300 unassembled and go up from there.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belleville, IL
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by russ67chevelle
    if i was u,id keep in mind that with a lot of chevy crossmembers,getting a tall deck in is a pain in da rear!!!if not impossible.if you have a tube chassis car then crossmember doesnt apply!!!BONUS!!! but lots of 540 shot block kits out there if your on a budget!short block 540 start at about 3300 unassembled and go up from there.
    Can you explain this a little better? The block, to my knowledge, only changes ABOVE the water pump inlet.

    Frame cross members below the motor are unaffected to my knowledge.

    Maybe I'm missing something?

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    KIEFER, OK.
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
    Quote Originally Posted by russ67chevelle
    if i was u,id keep in mind that with a lot of chevy crossmembers,getting a tall deck in is a pain in da rear!!!if not impossible.if you have a tube chassis car then crossmember doesnt apply!!!BONUS!!! but lots of 540 shot block kits out there if your on a budget!short block 540 start at about 3300 unassembled and go up from there.
    Can you explain this a little better? The block, to my knowledge, only changes ABOVE the water pump inlet.

    Frame cross members below the motor are unaffected to my knowledge.

    Maybe I'm missing something?
    I think he means you can't drop the motor to provide clearance above.

    Curtis

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: Going BBC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingkenny383
    I figure it's time to switch to a bbc. I'd like about 10:1, Dart 9.8 Big M,brodix 2xtra heads, and so on. My first question is how many ci can you get out of the 9.8 deck dart. I'd like a 598 4.5x4.6 with a 6.535+ rod, and flat top pistons, is that possible with the 9.8 deck?
    If you want to go big build a 582 4.375 x 4.600 Either way you dont have enough head IMO so a smaller motor might be a better option 4.25 x4.560 to make a 555.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    4.375 is probably about the biggest arm youd wann put in a short deck.thats why the next size larger(4.5 inch stroke)is used in tall decks.ive heard that 4.5"oil pan fitments in stock bodied cars can be a pain.friend has 66 chevelle and he said his 572 tall deck was a beiotch to install with oil pan to crossmember issues.thats all.i agree 540 is a good combo.

    joe sherman put a pump gas 540 together and got 752 torque and 829 horsepower at 6500 rpms with the 315 cnc afr heads.

  8. #8
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    65

    BBC build

    For a larger C/I motor in a 9.80 deck the stroke and rod are the problem. 4.375 on the crank and 4.385 on the rod. The bore doesn't matter, but why would you MAX the bore out in a new block. If you have a problem, you will not only be buying parts. But also a new block, or you will be putting sleeves in. As hammer said, the heads will be a problem above a 572 C/I

    The problem is in the oil pan with larger C/I motors in a stock front stub. With the larger stroke and rod, you can no longer run a standard rear sump pan. If you are taking that step up to a larger C/I BBC Have the front stub done by a good chassis builder.

    The front cross member has to be done, plate it, and change the steering box over to a rack. You may also be changing the front springs. Then the next issue you will have is headers if you go with a T/D So, YES C/I does cost $$$$ in more ways than just building a motor!

    Good luck

  9. Racing Junk


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy