Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas to diesel

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

gas to diesel

Has anyone ever converted a gas truck to diesel? I have heard some nightmare stories, but do not know if I believe them. I have done a couple of diesel to gas and had no problem with the swap, one in a olds car, and one in a chevy van, and dont remember having that many problems.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

swap

A buddy put a cummins diesel in his chevy 1 ton duelly. Goes every where in it.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    i put a cummins out of a bus in my 4-door duelly truck.have a 4-speed manual trans with a gear-vender over/under aux box and 3;55 gears.towing my trailer with 2700 lb. car on it i get 25mpg running 80mph on cruise..wouldn't go any other way for towing..converting from a 454bbc[gas]to the cummins was a cake walk.

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodharley
    i put a cummins out of a bus in my 4-door duelly truck.have a 4-speed manual trans with a gear-vender over/under aux box and 3;55 gears.towing my trailer with 2700 lb. car on it i get 25mpg running 80mph on cruise..wouldn't go any other way for towing..converting from a 454bbc[gas]to the cummins was a cake walk.
    Wow, that's better milage than newer diesels are getting running empty! What are you getting without towing?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    back when diesel was cheaper then gas at the pump, there was a couple people that put in 4.3l diesel engines in Fieros and as far as I know they are still driving them without any problems. one of the more unique fiero swaps out there. 8) they got great gas mileage also with them
    1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
    418ci SBC v8, manual 5-speed.
    dual stage nitrous injected

Wow, that's better milage than newer diesels are getting running empty! What are you getting without towing?

yes i know.lot doesn't believe me until they use my truck or go somewhere with me..it gets about the same not towing..maybe 1 mpg more is about the only differance..it doesn't work hard at all..the engine was so tall that it had to be install under hood at a angle[tilted to one side]so the turbo didn't hit hood..the tailgaters hates me..if they it up on my tailgate i just hammer it and smoke them out.they back off after that.

Sound like a cool truck!Let's see some pics of that bad boy!!!
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Gas to COAL

Hey Hot-Rod?
    I have a 99 GMC 3500 4-dr Dually 4WD.How Much to do the Conversion?Cause my Gasser has Power up the ASS,but it LOVES Them Gas Pumps!Pulling My 45' Trailer it gets between 7.5 and 9MPG.Empty i have seen 14MPG but that was after the Computer Upgrade!
    To go to 25MPG it would NO Take long to Pay for the Conversion in Fuel alone????????
    Later
    G 8)

the engine converson in 1988 cost $6000.00[engine included]then in 98 did the us gear vender over-under aux trans and change rear gears to 3;50's..i'm thinking i was into that about $2000.00;;;i'm thinking it can be cheaper now..with the dodge trucks having cummins in them a person can go to junk yard and pick up the engine from a wreaked dodge truck..also most all dodge trucks with the cummins has the 3;50 rear gears.look for the older ones because they don't have the computter control fuel systems.then buy the us gear vender aux trans..they are still on the market;;i heard the new news are quicker and easy on drive trains.mine is one of there first ones so when going up or down on shifts it crunks hard...sometimes i can catch everything just right[rpm]and it doesn't do it harderly.