Procomp Rods

Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 AM
ron19
APPRENTICE

Default Procomp Rods

I may get a set of Procomp sbc rods. I'm putting together a street 406 to run in my hotrod. No more than 500hp. Probably lower than that to start with. There are sets of 6" H beam rods that I can get for a good price. Being that it's a street engine, and may run the strip once or twice at no more than 6500 rpm, does anyone see a problem with them at this capacity? Anyone use their rods with success, or failures?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

get ready, you are expected to only buy the best, if they have
not heard of it, or they don't cost an arm or a leg, and they come
from china, they have plenty to say, me have not used them but
send you to a site and let you talk to the guys who have some
great rods http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/co...acementRod.asp

even the best will break, check out the forum :wink:
Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by signsbyesa
get ready, you are expected to only buy the best, if they have
not heard of it, or they don't cost an arm or a leg, and they come
from china, they have plenty to say, me have not used them but
send you to a site and let you talk to the guys who have some
great rods http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/co...acementRod.asp

even the best will break, check out the forum :wink:

who is "They"?...just curious....what i have seen on here (RJ) is people who ask for opinions then they get an honest opinion"s".....sort of like don't ask if ya don't want to know.....

Also what i have seen here in the past is people trying to go Drag racing on a full schedule and make over the top HP and ask opinions about using certain parts not up to par for what they are wanting to do.....

to me its like putting on deodorant before you take a shower...lol :shock: .....

I have said in another post..your parts should reflect on what type of use your motor will see...

i personally have learned thru the years to spend a little more up front for proven track tested parts ..this will be much cheaper then re-doing a motor later on (longivety)...besides most of the time you are seeing guys haggling over a few hundred dollars difference from the better grade rod etc... than what they have chose to buy just becuase its a good deal ?...i DO UNDERSTAND the extra few hundred could be an issue for someone at that time...i have 2 responses for that.

#1- that person should re-evaluate if they need to be racing at this point in their life.

#2- wait another month or so until you have the extra few hundred..and do it right the 1st time....it will be cheaper in the long run trust me..even when its time to re-sale or rebuild..

The doing More with Less Theory has not always been the best MOTTO in my book.....

Now this is just My opinion..take it for what its worth...

also signsbyesa no offense here..you just opened a door that i feel passionate about...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
ron19
APPRENTICE

Default Rods/opinions

OK guys, I asked for an opinion/maybe some personal experiance, no need to get heated. I have built many "racing" engines myself, 620+hp. run at 6500+rpm all day (circle track) and definately used the proper parts. That is why I have 4 engines out on the track right now that have never had a problem in 3 full seasons.

What I am trying to do here is build an economical STREET engine to have a little fun in, and don't see the need to get crazy on the budget and way over build it.

So, please guys, just keep the question I posted in mind, and post honestly, thats what it's here for. If I could afford a set of $500 H-beams, or better yet $1000 billets, I would put it in. But I can't see it for a street motor. Also, that extra money can go into a carb, tires, etc. Actually, with the mind set that using these, I free'd some money up and bought a used set of AFR 190's that should be perfect for the street.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experiance with them? For a street engine, does anyone have an opinion on them good or bad? How bout up to 500hp?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

At that power level, they'll be fine. For that matter, properly resized stock rods w/ARP bolts would be fine. I ran stock 5.7" rods and stock cast crank for years in a 13:1 406 in a 3075 lb 63 Nova. Ran 11.20's at 118 up here in Co and 10.80's at 122 in Topeka. Never went past 6500rpm and never had a bottom end failure. Cracked a couple of cylinders though....
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

cc:
I have said in another post..your parts should reflect on what type of use your motor will see...

by the way how much do these rods cost you are speaking of ?

nothing heated ..just an opinion.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

how much does a set of GM pink rods go for? they came in a few differant GM vehicles and can easily handle 500 street hp.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM
ron19
APPRENTICE

They cost $200. I don't think I can get a stock set re-conn'd for that price. I also like the H-beam style, a little heavy but strong. They claimed to be rated up to 600hp, though I'm thinking I wouldn't want to try it. Here's a similiar set on his ebay site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL...7233QQtcZphoto
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ron19
They cost $200. I don't think I can get a stock set re-conn'd for that price. I also like the H-beam style, a little heavy but strong. They claimed to be rated up to 600hp, though I'm thinking I wouldn't want to try it. Here's a similiar set on his ebay site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL...7233QQtcZphoto
Being a Procomp dealer, i can tell you that all the cheaper rods forgings come from China, including, Eagle,Hawk,Cat,ProComp, Crower, and the list goes on forever.
The difference is that most are heat treated and machined in the USA. ProComp rods are equal to most of them if you use the bolt upgrade, to ARP 2000 ot L19's.
All the cheaper crank forgings come from China also.
Eagle has a edge in my opinion because they machine the H beams, useing a 1/8" radius in the H beams making 2 passes, where the others use a larger milling cutter 1 pass.
Eagle also has in house heat treating and machining (i've been in their shop) and their machining capabilities has greatly improved over the last few yrs. Being a Machinest myseft for 50 yrs. i can see flaws that some people may not see.
With that said i have sold several sets of procomp rods for the street and have see no problems as of yet (4 yrs) i have a friend who builds lot's of engines from 350's to 632's also uses them but he switches out the bolts to ARP L19's or 2000's.
For the price you can't go wrong and they are a lot stronger and lighter than any rod GM ever put in a motor and they will stand up to 500HP as good as anyone elses will.
This is not an advertisment, because i donot advertise, nor do i have a website. Everything i sell i usually know the person who's buying it or is a friend of that person.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

there's no offense taken here, but i would have recommended
a performance stock set shot peened and balanced, i like using
factory and coming out with a strong motor like i used to build in
high school. but purchasing a set of $200 rods that take 600 hrpwr
for a 300 pwr street engine is not a bad tryout.
no offense bjuice but i left it so when "they" reponded, it would be
obvious who went in that gatagory, not all products perform like
they should and then some perform like it should and like
the more economical stuff too , for my motor i purchased lunati pro-mod
rods, i talked to pat musi and that guy does not shoot down any product,
but tells you what has worked for him, next time realy read the guys
request for an economical street motor, thats all, all we need is love :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -