Fuel cell location for blown alcohol injected bbc

Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
teamorange
SHOW GUEST

Default Fuel cell location for blown alcohol injected bbc

Is anyone using a rear/trunk mounted fuel cell to feed a blown/injected bbc? This engine dynoed 1150 hp @ 7000 rpm and will be in a 3500 lb backhalved camaro. It's not a filled block/head combo and will be using a radiator/electric waterpump, I plan on racing, cruising & big shows. I want to be able to do more than a burnout and 1/4 mile pass before refilling a 4 gal front mount cell. I would anticipate 60' times in the 1.25-1.30 range.
It's an 8-71 blower with an Enderle injection/pump/bird catcher. Line size, pitfalls and pictures or diagrams appreciated. Not really on a budget, like stuff right.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe some of the info in this thread will help...

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...t=4037&start=0
Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Check your PM's...

You won't have any issues with what you're doing with a rear mounted cell. No surge tank required.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i also are doing the same build and would like to see some good post on this subject
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Fuel cell location for blown alcohol injected bbc

Originally Posted by teamorange
Is anyone using a rear/trunk mounted fuel cell to feed a blown/injected bbc? This engine dynoed 1150 hp @ 7000 rpm and will be in a 3500 lb backhalved camaro. It's not a filled block/head combo and will be using a radiator/electric waterpump, I plan on racing, cruising & big shows. I want to be able to do more than a burnout and 1/4 mile pass before refilling a 4 gal front mount cell. I would anticipate 60' times in the 1.25-1.30 range.
It's an 8-71 blower with an Enderle injection/pump/bird catcher. Line size, pitfalls and pictures or diagrams appreciated. Not really on a budget, like stuff right.
Thanks,
Ken
Good thing you're not on a budget,
i assume that you are running atleast an 80A pump with your setup. That pump puts out approx. 6.8/7.2 GPM, i don't know if you can feed it from the back without a surge/reserve tank mounted in the front. the enderle pump is not a sucker, only a pusher. I personally run an enderle 110 pump for blown applications which puts out 12.8 GPM.
It's hard for me to imagine being able to keep enough fuel to that pump on a full blown 1/4 mile pass without a surge tank. We're not talking carbs here, there's no reserve holding in the injection like on carbs and the first time you run that pump out of fuel, you can buy some more pistons. That's been my experience atleast. A magnflow 500, if my caculation is right, says just over 8 GPM, i think you're pushing the limits without a reserve tank, and many outer people have already found this out (that's where the reserve tank idea came from)

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Fuel cell location for blown alcohol injected bbc

Originally Posted by zipper06

. A magnflow 500, if my caculation is right, says just over 8 GPM,

Zip.
That's pretty close. I have one on my car and we timed it when we were flushing out fuel lines..It took about 42 seconds to pump 5 gallon
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Ken,
It is truly insane to try to run that kind of a set up on the street to cruise, and anyone who trys it should be certified insane and people should stay away...... :shock: :lol:
I should know, as I ran that kind of a setup on the street for a couple of years, and beleive me it is a genuine pain in the butt..., but it can be done...
for crusing a large tank in the back feeding a 4 gal or so tank in the front, fed by a simple holley blue works fine.
the 80a is good for gas, but if you switch to alky, you will need to use a conservative tune up and small amount of boost.
A way to prime the system for starting has to be used.

The problems you have with running this on the street, is that, with gas, blowers get hot, heat everything up, so you will need a very good cooling system. You need to run the thing rich to work right, so you will always have a little soot and smoke out the back when you blip the throttle, make sure the emmisions guys are not following you....

The biggest problem I had was many times I would get a couple of cylinders flood on start up and not fire, a simple squirt of water from a water bottle on the headers will quickly tell you what ones are not firing.

I never tried alky on the street, but if you can get enough capacity to cruise for a distance, I think it woud work better. But alky also has its problems.

But I can tell you when you pull in on cruise night with this setup, you will get the looks..... :lol:
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 AM
teamorange
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the input, I'm very aware how insane a blown alky injected bbc on the street can be. You have to rember, "you can't put a price on being cool."
Ken
Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

if i was gonna think about running injection Hat On the street with a Blower i would look serioulsy into the electronic fuel rail injection. BDS sells the complete set up.

Same cool looks...just a lot more managable for street use.

Hey go ahead and run the Zoomies also if your going to go that radical...My motto is 'IF YOUR GONNA JUMP GO HEAD 1ST FROM THE TALLEST BUILDING YOU CAN FIND..YOU'LL HAVE MORE TIME TO ENJOY THE SCENERY ON THE WAY DOWN"!....LOL

Brian
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

if i was gonna think about running injection Hat On the street with a Blower i would look serioulsy into the electronic fuel rail injection. BDS sells the complete set up.

Same cool looks...just a lot more managable for street use.

Hey go ahead and run the Zoomies also if your going to go that radical...My motto is 'IF YOUR GONNA JUMP GO HEAD 1ST FROM THE TALLEST BUILDING YOU CAN FIND..YOU'LL HAVE MORE TIME TO ENJOY THE SCENERY ON THE WAY DOWN"!....LOL
Brian, the only problem with the bds electronic setup is that the hat is only a bug catcher.... :lol:

I was going to try to fabricate up some zommies with some kind of muffler insert into each pipe, for the camaro, but I never got around to it.... :cry: that really would have been nuts.... but it would be cool....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -