Thread: Mastang Looses Belts

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

Mastang Looses Belts

Any body got any ideas about how to keep an alternator belt on at 7500 rpm's? I have a 351 windsor in a Fox Mustang, running an electric drive on the water pump, no power steering or A/C. I need bracket ideas for the alternator to keep the belt from flying off. Thanks.[/i][/b]

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Alternator belt

You could try changing the alternator pulley to a larger diameter one. Check the belt for alignment.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    if you do not have the DEEP GROOVE race type pulleys you will continue to have the problem...also when you put on the DEEP GROOVE pulley make sure you get a COG belt the sits way down in the pulley groove..once the belt sits down in the groove you should see sides of the pulley coming up above the belt...this will 99% solve your problem.

Keep in mind stock type pulleys and stock fitting type belts were not designed for turning 7500 rpm's.

Brian
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Run a belt that is as short as you can possibly run.Helps a lot
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I would recomend a serpetine belt set up, they tend to stay on with the higher rpms engines like yours. You can get a later model alternator and brackets from a donor car at a local bone yard. I also think jegs and summit is conversion kits too.
    Goodluck
    ><Charles
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***