Brake adjustments

Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 AM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Brake adjustments

I'm sure this is a basic question, but I just haven't had a lot of experience around brake systems yet. How do you go about easing back on how much the pads drag when not applied? I'm wanting to get them set as close to free spinning as possible without affecting how they work when applied. Need to know for both systems as I've got aerospace discs up front, but drums out back on the Dana 60. Thanks in advance.

-Tanner
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

You can loosen your drum brakes up to where you can just feel/hear the shoes scrubbing the drums.As far as discs are concerned,I don't think you can loosen them as they are self adjusting,as thy just slide on the mounting pins.I have 4 wheel drums on my car and I tried to set mine real loose one time,too.I noticed no gain in et,mph or 60ft.But did notice real crappy brakes at the big end of the track.I would recommend setting up your brakes as you normally would and not give up any safety.Probably not what you wanted to hear,but it didn't work out for me at all.