MINI OR FULL SPOOL

Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default MINI OR FULL SPOOL

GOT A NODULAR 9" WITH STOCK GEAR CARRIER AND MINI SPOOL.IS FULL SPOOL THAT MUCH STRONGER?MY CAR IS 3400 WITH ME IN IT,700HP BBC,SHOOTING FOR MORE POWER LATER.HOW MUCH POWER WILL A MINI SPOOL TAKE RELIABILY?[/u]
Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Yes the full spool is that much stronger, because the stock carrier that the ring gear bolts to is cast. I have had a Ford carrier for the limited slip break right where the 2 halves bolt together. The inertia weight and overall weight will be less with the full spool.

The other item is that I think that the mini-spools only come in 28 spline or 31 spline. If you are buying aftermarket axles (and I hope you are), they are about the same price for 31, 33, or 35 spline. I have broken 31 spline axles, so I run the 35 spline axles with spool, nodular center, and an aluminum pinion support. The stats say that I could probably have gotten away with 33 spine axles, but mine are 12 years old and no issues.

Bill M
Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I ran a mini spool for a while years ago when I started running No Electronics foot brake. Then one night after running four 7.10's in a row the cross pin sheared at the launch of the fifth pass and cost me what I'm sure would have been an event win. Definately want a to use a full spool and at least a 31 spline Moser or MW axle. Many people like them but I don't recommend Strange as I twisted 2 sets of them. So if you can, go ahead and get the 35 spline stuff.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

The cross pin is what scares me,too.You know what ,though,this is my first dealings with a 9",and just by looking at it,my 8.5" 10 bolt had ALOT more material in it,everywhere.Especially the bearing caps.Not impressed,to be honest.How come everybody says you GOT TO have a girdle with preload bolts on like a 10 or 12 bolt or Dana,then they brag on 9"s,there's no way to brace the bearing caps on a dropout thirdmember?What gives?The bearing caps on the 9" are only half as thick as the ones in mt old 10 bolt,and nobody's scared of them?Am I missing something,or is it all just hype?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Don't know what 10 bolt you were running. However the 9" has many advantages over a 10 or 12 bolt. First off you don't need to install c-clip eliminators. It's much easier to setup gears when it's on the bench and not under the car. You can setup several gear combinations and swap out for different tracks, in your case 1/8 or 1/4. The nine inch ring gear is stronger than the 8.25" or 8.5". The housing with backbrace is stronger than a cast center with steel tubes, really no good way to brace a 10 or 12 bolt housing. Far as the bearing caps go, I don't think they're smaller but wouldn't swear to it, never had an issue with them.

Just my $.02

Bill
Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not bad mouthing 9" rears at all.Just seems strange to me how everyone rags on 10 bolts,and raves about 9s.10 bolt has a considerably larger diameter pinion than a 9".Of course you can UPGRADE a 9" to a pro gear and has the same size as a STOCK :wink: 10 bolt,which is same as stock 12 bolt or dana.As far as bearing caps,it was just a thought.How come rear loaders NEEEEEED them,and noone even considers reinforcing Fords? :?: Not claiming to have any answers,just an observation.Granpapa always said to "think for yourself"
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I didn't take it as you were bad mouthing the 9". IMO it's about the only thing Ford did right though. It just has many more advantages, however the Ford ways about 10 lb. more than the Chevy and in stock form a 9 inch is fairly week unless you have a nodular unit. The after market third members are beefed up a considerable amount and that's what most racers are running, either MW, Moser, or Strange, either aluminum or nodular iron. Far as the gears go, the pinion gear gets smaller the lower the gear ratio, that may be why your seeing such a difference in the pinion sizes. The only difference in the pro gear and street gear is the material it's made of. Pro gears are made from 9310, which is a softer alloy than the 8620 Street gears. Maybe your thinking of the difference between a standard 28 spline pinion and the larger 35 spline, which has a very limited set of ratio's available compared to the standard pinion. The 9 inch also has more available gear ratio's than any other rear end combination. The nine inch doesn't need the caps reinforced because the housing and third member are separate so if you bend the housing you haven't affected the bearing caps or gear set. On the Chevy if you actually bend the housing there is a good possiblity you have distorted the bearing caps since they are are integral to the rest of the unit. JMO
Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

The pinion size I was talking about was the diameter of the stem.Other than that,put all the wisdom on me you feel like.As far as the only thing Ford ever did right?....................yeah,that's all I can come up with,too
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I don't know about the wisdom part :lol:.... I've just ran both and know what broke and what didn't!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

OLDS48------I HAVE TO CHECK BUT I THINK THAT WAS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---JUST KEEP IT UP-LOL LOL LOL ---LIVELY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -