i have a question and need some help

Old 12-22-2007, 02:21 PM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default i have a question and need some help

hey guys,
i have a edelbrock performer carb on my sbc,and i have my dist. vacum hose ran of the front passenger side vacum port as edelbrock recomends, and the problem i have is i unhooked the vacum hose and noticed alot of liquid coming out of the vacum advance,it was black like oil but was thin and had a gas smell to it, my question is how would i be getting any oil into the fuel, and why would any fuel be coming from the vacum port anyway?
please help
thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 AM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

come on guys all these views and no responses! i really need some help on this one,so if any of you have any ideas please let me know
thanks for looking
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

I dont know anything about vacumn hoses on carbs but i would thing to get oil back to the carb you would have to have a leaking intake gasket! JMO
Old 12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

thanks for the reply, i was kind of leaning towards possibly a intake gasket, or maybe a faulty fuel pump, it has a mechanical fuel pump on it and i was thinking that it could possibly have a hole in it, letting oil mix with the gas, but im not sure
thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

hey Billy did you figure it out?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

no i still havent figured out anything for sure, i just havent ever seen any kind of a gas mixture come out of a vacum port like that.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

1. Exactly which vacuum port are you using? Left/Center/Right

2. Is this a new carb on the motor?

2a. If it's a new carb, what carb did it replace?

3. Have you removed the top of the carb to see if the gasket is soaked with fuel?

3a. If the gasket is soaked, is there dirt in the needle/seat?
3b. Is the float set properly?

4. If you take off the distributor cap, is there moisture inside?

5. Have you put a hand vacuum pump on the distributor to make sure the gasket is working and not torn?

Here's what I'm thinking... And this is a shot in the dark.

If I had to guess, you pressure washed the motor, got water in the vicinity of the distributor. The distributor vacuum advance is torn and sucked in the water laying on the bracket. Once inside the canister, it fell to the floor, away from the vacuum stream.

It's black because it's been laying against the black rubber diaphragm in the vacuum advance canister. It smells like fuel because when you kill the engine, the fumes rise up under the butterflies and into the hose, permeating it with fuel smell.

There's no possible way for fuel to get into that line unless you have a major issue. The line is under vacuum, not pressure. The only way for liquid to be introduced into that line is either a poor seal on the line itself, allowing liquid to be sucked in at the vacuum canister (assuming there's nothing else teed into the line), or the diaphragm is torn, allowing moisture to enter from the rear.

There's my tree fiddy.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

onebadgmc,
thanks for the help, the vacum port that is being used for the dist. is the left one if you have the hood up and are looking straaight at the engine.this is not a new carb,it has been on the engine for a couple of years,i havent been into the carb yet to check for dirt or to check the gasket, there is no moisture inside the dist. as far as i know the motor hasnt been washed within the last couple of years, but anything is possible, i will check out the diaphram with a vacum pump and see what happens, i havent really had the time to tear into it and check it out,so i just wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone has ran into this problem yet, so thanks to everyone for the help