Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas and alcohol

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER

gas and alcohol

Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Dude..............take note whats on my engine! I guess you've seen it in action before,pure alcohol is the way to. Once you've tryed it you won't go back! Close your eyes and just think,tunnel ram and enderle Thats about 9% extra HP all the time 8)
    If a 5 lb hammer can't fix it,it must be electrical
    Keep the shiney side up! 8)
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/85221

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
    I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....
    I was reading about this carb on another site. One guy had one first weekend it was back off, if I remember right he tried it a few more times and never could get it right.

I'd go one way or another, alky is my choice
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

gas and alky

carb guy advertising 75 -25 carbs is chuck nuytten #is 972-722-8333 i would give him a call.

Yes, I have mixed alky with gas at a 15% level back in the early/mid 90s, before moving to 100% alky.

The engine was a 462 BBC, oval port heads (049 castings), with a Crane Cam (.648/.669 solid flat tappet). 9.5:1 static compression with 8 Lbs of blower boost from a B&M Powercharger 250 (equiv of 4-71).

The carb was produced from a local supplier called C&M (no longer in business to my knowledge). The carb looked pretty much like the precursor to the Holley HP line. It started as a 750 CFM Double pumped, but wound up flowing 1020 CFM after they were done with it. I really regret having sold the carb, it was a nice piece.

We were running 93 octane pump gas through the motor with the 15% mix. The motor ran cooler, and we had zero issues with detonation. I don't recall how much it picked up, but I do recall a lower e.t. with the mix. It could have either been due to the decreased air charge?

Who knows. I know it worked, and thats all I cared about. We tried higher percentages of alky, but the fuel separated too much.

Member CRAFTSMAN

Re: gas and alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by superstreeter
    Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?
    you can run 10% ethanol without any problems. we can but this at the pump here in Iowa & many other parts of the USA. we,also, buy an E-85 blend of ethanol(85% ethanol - 15% gasoline) from the pump for use in street engines with a modified carb. or injection systems(some factory vehicles come with a flex fuel option). ethanol is a corn or other plant material type of alcohol.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I'm with Nofear...inject it .

Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by olds48
    Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?
    Yes ! Put alky stuff on change plus and timing and go !!
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com