HELP BLOWN ALKY QUESTION

Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
dtperformance
SENIOR BUILDER

Default HELP BLOWN ALKY QUESTION

I have a blown inj 347 sbf. It is in a mustang coupe and I have a front crank driven pump but very little room to mount anything bigger than a 3 maybe 4 gall cell up front. I have a 12 gall in the trunk but most will say I cant get a pump big enough to pump enough fuel to the front for the motor for the inj set up. I was told a 4 gal up front wont work because it will caitate(sp) and not enough fuel even for 1/8 mile racing

My qustion is
A should I go with alky carbs and than can I run like a A2000 pump and would that with a rear cell work out

B Is there a pump out there that will push enough fuel to the front for the inj set up and if so what pump and what lines do I use.

C What else could I do. I dont ant the car cut up as it is near show condition and I would oneday go back to a turbo set up or something and dont want it all cut up.

This is my first alky blown motor and I cant risk blowing it up so I geuss D may be the sell it choice and buy something else?????

Thanks Guy
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

hello had a car with a simliar space problem with the up front fuel cell..i was running alcohol injected RON'S TOILET BOWL.direct port injection..
what i had to do was order a SURGE TANK..its a tank that is mounted up front and has a carb float bowl attached to it for fuel level adjustment..the SURGE TANK is fed from the main tank in the rear of car with a healthy fuel pump that can handle the PUSH...Many out there that can fed a surge tank Aeromotive a-2000, Magnafuel prostar 500 ( my favorite)..i would call Ron's and ask them about this set up...

of course the pump,cam driven or belt driven is gravity fed..so this mean the surge tank must be mounted a little higher then the blower pump..same as front mounted fuel cell.

2nd option or maybe 1st option- run the 4 gallon tank and see if it will be enough fuel..i know i ran a 383 sbc alcohol blown motor 80a cam driven pump stage 4 bds blower with enderle birdcathcer injection..it used right at 4 gallons of fuel in full 1/8 mile pass..so i would say you are close here.

last option- have a custom fuel cell made..i have seen all types,forms and shapes fabricated for the car to use them...last one i saw was built just like the radiator deminsions in the car except a little smaller..he did this for space reasons..i ask him how much it held..and it was an amazing 7 gallons...deminsons were approx 20 inches tall 22 inches wide and 3 inches deep....you can have something like this made up and it will work.

your conventional off the shelf poly tanks hardly ever work in a custom/unique HOTROD......

i beleive you will find the answer in one of my senerio's...if you think about it long and hard enough and do research.

i would also suggest calling "Good Vibrations" and getting one of their fuel loop back systems ( apporx $80.00)..this will eliminate the 3 return lines to your fuel cell...what it does is circulates your fuel back into the pump..your pump will never go dry..this is cam driven pump..GREAT INVENTION..and cleans up the front of motor ( no extra fuel lines) and supports saftey by not having extra alcohol in the return lines.

hope this helps you some

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

once i finish my car i'm going to run into same thing myself..what i'm thinking can a guy run a rear tank with a good pump feeding the small front tank?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

i think thats what brian done if i read his post right
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lookingaround
i think thats what brian done if i read his post right
you are correct

Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

reread brain's post and caught that second time..you know how us old folks are..sometimes got to read something 3 or 4 times before it soaks in our thick heads..thanks for pointing this out to me..if not i would still be trying to figure something out..where can a person buy the surge tanks from?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

thats ok Hotrod..you might be gettin old but ya a damn good one !!!..
here is where i got mine..(surge tank)

http://www.ronsfuel.com/surge_tank.cfm

good luck my friend

Brian

Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I ran a 4 gal tank with blown 358" mtr. and 1471 w/buzzard catcher and enderle 110 pump. Always warmed it up in the pits, then refill and towed it up to the front of lines with 4 wheeler. 1 burnout as much as 200 ft. and full 1/8 pass and drove it back to the pits. Pitted close to the 1/8 finish line, never ran out of fuel one time. i've done this many times.
It would use 2 to 3 gal.

I run a 3 gal on my Malibu with toilet on alcohol front pump and can drive to the line and back to the pits even 1/4 mile racing.

Zip.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 PM
dtperformance
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
thats ok Hotrod..you might be gettin old but ya a damn good one !!!..
here is where i got mine..(surge tank)

http://www.ronsfuel.com/surge_tank.cfm

good luck my friend

Brian
I called ronsfuel and they were very cool. They told me with my motor and est HP the 4 gall fuel cell the have will work and should not have any prob for 1/8 mile. So I ordered one and I hope to have this thing done and running by the thanksgiven weekend