Cement in Heads

Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Default Cement in Heads

Can you get the cement out of Cyl Heads?

I have been given a set of dart 360's and they made good power on an injected motor but they are full of cement.

Can you get the cement out of the heads??

Bjuice or Zipper you guys ever tried this?????
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

they are junk for anything other then an alky motor, ..

if there is cement they tried to make a solid head out of a water
core head for a blow alky motor, .. never can get it out.

most likely junk if they gave them to you.

Curtis
Old 11-10-2007, 07:11 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

What Curtis said,

and they cannot be welded/repaired if they are broken once they are filled with block filler or bolt set cement.
Have i ever tried this? (nope) not on a set of heads. I've run solid as cast Brodix's on blown alcohol big blk. with a Rodack blk.
I would advise against anyone filling the heads for blown or otherwise. With a good set of alum heads, i'm talking 1/2 min. deck you can run 30 PSI wirh a blower and they will live.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I would say to run alcohol or don't use the heads. In this kind of racing application the concrete will probably not be a problem.

I personally can't see ever a reason to do this though.

I have been tempted a few times to fill only the intake side of head with a Hard Block and having the head sit on the intake runners to allow the filler to set up in only that one section of the hed. That was becuase of continual pin hole leaks in intake runner with extremely modified heads.

Ed
Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
I would say to run alcohol or don't use the heads. In this kind of racing application the concrete will probably not be a problem.

I personally can't see ever a reason to do this though.

I have been tempted a few times to fill only the intake side of head with a Hard Block and having the head sit on the intake runners to allow the filler to set up in only that one section of the hed. That was becuase of continual pin hole leaks in intake runner with extremely modified heads.

Ed
Hey Ed,

There's a proccess, called alum impragnation, it done under pressure and vacuum at about 500 degrees and will fill any voids/pin holes or small leasions that are in the material without changing the machine surfaces. It's done all the time in aircraft cast alum. parts and some time forged alum.Aircraft parts.
I spent 20 plus yrs. machining part for AirResearch out West, and they almost always call for that process.

Do a google search and read about it.

Zip.