Resale Values On Race Cars ????

Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Winmon
APPRENTICE

Default Resale Values On Race Cars ????

How well do T/K race car's values hold up? I know it of course depends on alot of variables like build quality, type of car, drivetrain, how current the specs are on it, etc etc., but generally speaking, how much do race cars depreciate?

The reason I ask is I am considering selling my Pro Street '56 and buying a dedicated race car, probably either a early Nova or Camaro. I started taking the '56 to a new local 1/8th mile track and have gotten completely hooked. Plus, it is a HELL of alot more fun then sitting in a lawn chair at a car show. I know that when you build a show car, the general rule of thumb is 50 cent on the dollar when you sell. I bought my '56 pretty much done so I know that when I sell it I will get almost all my money back. I would like to know that if I bought say a nicely built T/K race car, let's say a '66 Nova for 35-40k, that I could sell it say 5 years down the road and get most that money back, minus replaced broken parts of course.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

somebody from wa state, sweet, yes the dragstrip is a very fun place to be, when you buy your new race car, make sure you know what your looking at, if you get it for a fair price yes , you will be able to turn around and get a lot of, your money back, if you have a bud that knows alot abought race cars bring him along, I met a guy in spokane this year, when we were waiting in the staging lanes, he had a 9.60 monza, bbc , powerglide, bought it turn key, $5500, yes he changed some things, but fast cool car and at $5500 mid 9 car, it was cool!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've purchased and sold several cars in the last 5 years. I always look for cars that need some easy TLC I put my touch on them, I will race them and then sell them, normally I end up ahead. Just remember when buying something turnkey you know the motor I will NEVER buy something turnkey from someone I do not know or trust. Make sure the chassis and body are nice 66 Nova's bring great money for a reason, to get good prices out of them body and chassis need to be perfect.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Sequim? Hell, my wife lived in Sequim for many years. I even spent a week in Sequim one day. For the 'Irritation Festival'. But that was over 15 years ago. I hear it's changed some.

You'll have a bit of a drive to get to a 1/4 mile track unless you run Bremerton. But that's maybe only an hour or so off of getting to Pacific.

Where's the 1/8 mile track over there?

Murff
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Winmon
APPRENTICE

Thanks guys.. I guess that I would like to know that if I decided to go back to the street/show car thing at some point, I could sell the race car and not get completely burned.

Murff, yes Sequim has changed a bit, box stores and everything! I am liking it more and more Bremerton is a pretty easy drive and I am planning on running the '56 there if I keep it. The new 1/8th mile track is in, of places, Forks! They are for now running it at the airport. It has been open now for 2 seasons. I was a little surprised to see the quality of the cars that the guys own out there. Some really fast and nice stuff. The track is a blast because you can run as many times as you want, especially on Saturdays. There is no stress and everyone is there to have fun and not take it so serious. You should come out next season. Here is a link to the club that runs it (they are a little lazy about updating it)

http://www.westendthunder.com/Home_Page.php
Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Forks! Only thing west of Forks is Japan!

I looked at the link, looks like a lot of fun. And I know a handful of the cars from Pacific.

I will watch the schedule come spring time and we might try it out. I should have my poop bolted back together by then.

Welcome to RJ.

Murff
Old 10-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Winmon
APPRENTICE

Thanks Murff. Where you located?

Here are a few more Forks pics from this past summer...

Jim Green...

Herm Peterson...

Kirk's 7 second (in the 1/4) Nova...

Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Bought some parts at Jim Greens, remember drooling over the Magnacharger they had on display. Watched Peterson race before that. Pretty cool to see the old names come back out.

I'm a member of another board, hre.com, and those guys are mostly a bunch of nostalgia nitro cars. Was chatting with a guy over there a week or so back talking about magneto parts for my junk. Turns out he was Twig Zieglers crew chief in the mid '70's.

Interesting thing, the internet. You never know who you're chatting with or what their background is. Some pretty 'Top Drawer' names lurking about RJ, too.

I'm in Federal Way and Spib is from East Wenatchee. I met him for the 1st time in Yakima this past summer. Pretty cool guy & has a little Blazer that's going to be tuff to run with once he gets it sorted out.

I've been thinking of trying to run at Shelton in '08 if they get a program together, and if I can keep my crap in one sack long enough to make more than two passes without needing a rebuild. That's an airstrip as well.

Murff
Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Winmon
APPRENTICE

I am planning on hitting Shelton next summer also. I hear Walt Austin is running it? I see the FAA is trying to shut them down.......
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

I was looking at your pics, that Chevy is WAAYY purdier than my heap. I might be just a little too bashful to bring mine out in the light of day.

Looked at your time slip. Is your name Murphy? Coincidence, SO"S MINE!

Murff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -