Thread: Race gas vs. Methanol vs. Ethanol

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Race gas vs. Methanol vs. Ethanol

We have almost finished our new SBC, it is 12.5 to 1 compression, Brodix alum heads, Herbert roller cam 0.6 lift. It has a 3500 stall, TH 350 with 4.11 gears. Car is about 3200 lbs.

One thing we don't have yet is a new carb. I plan to install a whole new fuel system, tank to carb. Some guys at our local track says I should run methanol instead of race gas, easier to get a little cheaper.

I was also thinking Ethanol. Anyone know the differences in using these three fuels? I don't see many running Ethanol, but I do hear of it.

thanks for your help.

check out e85carbs.com in minnesota this guy has some info he is building carbs for it he says fuel system has to be 25% larger than if you were using 91 octane i am thnking of switching my supercharger motor over to it i am looking for more info to

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

Fuel mixture

what would u say about a car that runs on 40% methonal & 60% Arco regular gas? the car runs 8.80@154mph, 2820#car with 582 ci. powerglide, 5.86 gears. have been doing this 4 over 30 yrs. (fuel)

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Fuel mixture

Quote Originally Posted by sst6712
    what would u say about a car that runs on 40% methonal & 60% Arco regular gas? the car runs 8.80@154mph, 2820#car with 582 ci. powerglide, 5.86 gears. have been doing this 4 over 30 yrs. (fuel)
    What do you use, to make the gas and methonal mix, since they donot normally mix together, also you have to be turning some big RPM, even with a 34" tall tire, that's close to 8,000 RPM with a 5.86 gear.

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Race gas vs. Methanol vs. Ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by lmccoll
    We have almost finished our new SBC, it is 12.5 to 1 compression, Brodix alum heads, Herbert roller cam 0.6 lift. It has a 3500 stall, TH 350 with 4.11 gears. Car is about 3200 lbs.

One thing we don't have yet is a new carb. I plan to install a whole new fuel system, tank to carb. Some guys at our local track says I should run methanol instead of race gas, easier to get a little cheaper.

I was also thinking Ethanol. Anyone know the differences in using these three fuels? I don't see many running Ethanol, but I do hear of it.

thanks for your help.

www.apdracing.com Complete fuel systems and awesome stuff !!
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Stick with a real carb shop for an e-85 carb, vs the e85 carbs.com place, trust me. As far as that 8.80 at 154 with 5.86 gears, at 2820lbs, that thing must be spinning close to 9500 in the lights, wow.