Uggggg. Why angle plugs???

Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Uggggg. Why angle plugs???

Why are angle plugs angled? I bought a set of headers that are supposed to work with "most" angle plugs and i still have serious clearence issues. At least with these i can get the plugs in the heads but i am not sure if there is room for the boots. I have the MSD 8.8 wires and the have thick boots. They are gonna be touching the headers for sure.

I dont know what else to do. I dont know if i should even use these headers??

Anybody got any ideas?

I have Brodix Track 1 heads BTW.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Have you looked into the short accel plugs?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Dimple the headers with a round pipe or socket where they get close. Use the 90 deg boots, As was said use the Accel Plugs. If you dimple with a hammer Or for that matter anything, Hold it solid and hit it with another hammer. This is a lot easier if the heater has been heated with a torch at the palce you want to dimple it. Don't go wild and crazy and just start beating on it. Correctly dimpled headers cause no restriction and still look good.

Ed
Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

I contacted accel about some plugs but they told me that they dont have any that would fit? Brodix recomends two different plugs either Autolite 52 or in a newer catalogthey recomend NGK5671A-8. If you got an accel part nuber that will work for one of those i will try it.
Or autolite 64. That was the plugs that came with the engine???
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

the other thing you can do is use s. plug boot fireproof covers, I believe MSD makes them! My buddy uses them and they work ok!!! Ill check with him to see who's they are!!! David.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

The idea was that by repositioning the plug in the combustion chamber closer to the exhaust valve you get a more complete burn, Chevy engineers moved the location of the plug towards the exhaust valve to improve flame propagation. But, by moving the position of the spark plug in "straight" heads, similar gains were realized.
They are suppose to get you few more ponies, and believe it or not header clearance in some applications, go figure.

Cp
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Uggggg. Why angle plugs???

Originally Posted by Blue68Camaro
Why are angle plugs angled? I bought a set of headers that are supposed to work with "most" angle plugs and i still have serious clearence issues. At least with these i can get the plugs in the heads but i am not sure if there is room for the boots. I have the MSD 8.8 wires and the have thick boots. They are gonna be touching the headers for sure.

I dont know what else to do. I dont know if i should even use these headers??

Anybody got any ideas?

I have Brodix Track 1 heads BTW.
Which headers did you buy? I think i recommended the hooker 1 7/8" super comp headers which have the stahl patern and they come with 1/4" adaptor plates which spaces the headers out 1/4" more. This is what i run with my track 1 heads and have no problems with 90* boots and the recommended NGK plugs, i can also change the plugs with a socket and an open end wrench (when the engine is cold} But like others have said a small dimple does not restrict flow.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

OMG! Can't believe you told him to take a hammer to those headers!!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 AM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

:twisted: Gotta do what you gotta do :twisted: I prefer the 4 lbs. hammer myself :wink: :wink: :shock: :arrow:

-Tanner
Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

just use some header adapter plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -