relays

Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

Default relays

I've bracket raced my cars for years and never used a relay in electrical system. I am going to add them now to fuel pump, water pump and fans, I really never knew much about them untill recently. What are some other opinions, ideas, or suggestions.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I like using them I just go to the local Radio Shack and get them. Very easy to install.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 AM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

If you're not sure how to wire them, here is a schematic.
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3341
Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

at first I wired my blazer with no relays, called painless with a tech question, I use a pro street fuse box from painless, the guy convinced me to buy some, so I got some relays from summit , I have them on fuel pump, water pump,fans, and headlights, very easy and have good instructions
Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I use the 30 amp relays fro Radio Shack for my fan, water pump, starter. Sure save the switches in your control panel from burning up.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
lg1969
SHOW GUEST

I used 30 amp radio shack relay for my starter. I had a problem when I turn off the chevelle and let it sit for a while the solenoid would overheat to the point it will not engage. I had to crawl under the car and short the S terminal and battery terminal. The 30 amp relay does the the same thing. The relay contacts short the S terminal to the battery terminal. I do not have to use that big ford soleniod. I have the relay mounted on the fire wall. The problem was gone. Relays are great in handling huge amount of current. Go to Longislandchevelles.com and look at the tech artical. It shows how to wire the relay for the starter soleniod.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 AM
fxst2003
SHOW GUEST

Relays are wonderful tools to have for handling big amounts of power. I suggest a tool for understanding relays is the website www.12volt.com

I came from the car stereo world and you can use them for anything.
I would also use nothing but Bosch relays.