port and polish stock 350 chevy intake with spacer?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default port and polish stock 350 chevy intake with spacer?

2 barrel carb.I have a guy who claims he can perform this work.I have a performance intake made by edlebrock.It has a egr on it for a 4 barrel quad.I cant run this intake due to the smog laws here in Calif.The car came from the factory with a 2 barrel so thats whats need to be on it when I smog.Would there be any gains modifying the stock 2 barrel intake?Sorry guys.I'm trying to get all I can get on stock modifyed parts due to smog test in Calif.How sneaky can I get ?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Porting your intake will get you some performance gains but it will be minor since your limited to the air and fuel you can get thru that 2 barrel carb. You might see better gains trying things like roller rockers arms and a freer flowing exhaust, a performance shift kit in your tranny, changing rear gears for better acceleration.
Man I feel for you guys in California, the smog laws really got ya'lls hands tied.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Thanks.I have a done all that you mentioned besides the roller rockers.Thats next on my list.But not sure of stud size thats on the heads for rockers or what ratio they are..the engine is not the original.But thanks.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Rear end gears are out of the ?The smog tests here are done on a dyno.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

You don't need to make any changes until you pass the smog test, then you can make any changes you want to, for the next yr. that you want/have to pass the smog test. No cop on the street is going to test your car to see if it passes the smog test. Do your test then make the changes,

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
You don't need to make any changes until you pass the smog test, then you can make any changes you want to, for the next yr. that you want/have to pass the smog test. No cop on the street is going to test your car to see if it passes the smog test. Do your test then make the changes,

JMO

Zip.
I thank you guys for any info I can get.I was just watching the news.Another air quality issue in Calif.The state has started a program.These will be road side teams parked on streets and freeway on ramps with detectors for emissions and cameras to get your plate number.You have no choice but to drive through the detectors the way they are set up on the road.The detectors will monitor your emissions.If your car will not pass smog .You will not get pulled over.You will receive a letter in the mail from DMV.Stateing that the car must be repaired.The state will give you up to $500.00 if you qualify to fix the car.Or the state will give you up to $2,000.00 to junk the vehicle.Roller rockers,upgrade ignition then I'm done on this project.Too many restrictions here in Calif.Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cbtlr
Originally Posted by zipper06

JMO

Zip.
I thank you guys for any info I can get.I was just watching the news.Another air quality issue in Calif.The state has started a program.These will be road side teams parked on streets and freeway on ramps with detectors for emissions and cameras to get your plate number.You have no choice but to drive through the detectors the way they are set up on the road.The detectors will monitor your emissions.If your car will not pass smog .You will not get pulled over.You will receive a letter in the mail from DMV.Stateing that the car must be repaired.The state will give you up to $500.00 if you qualify to fix the car.Or the state will give you up to $2,000.00 to junk the vehicle.Roller rockers,upgrade ignition then I'm done on this project.Too many restrictions here in Calif.Thanks
:shock: