SBC HEAD STUDS

Old 09-21-2007, 05:41 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Default SBC HEAD STUDS

Does it create any additional distortion if you use head studs in a fresh block that was torgue plate with head bolts?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Thats probably a question for ED, but I dont think it would be much different! especially when torque plates were used.But maybe ED will chime in, Id like to know if Im correct or not ,David.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

1st off the main use of a torque plate is to insure the cylinders keep the roundness during honing and/or block filling...ETC....
i do not see where head studs would have any bearing on the block what-so-ever in reference to the question you ask......a BIG mistake many do make when using studs is that they screw the stud very tight into the block with a allen wrench...when this happens it really takes away from the compression advantage a stud gives...the proper way to install a stud is to srew the stud into the block hand tight preferly so when you put the bolt on it has has a very strong compression factor as the high tensil steel pulls the thread (s) together from the block side and the head side.. as i mentioned above if someone tightens down on the studs until they bottom out with an allen wrench until they cannot turn anymore..it then acts the same as a regular head bolt..and no better then a head bolt at that point

just be sure to put proper sealer on the threads entering the block ( many opinions here i personally use mega black gasket sealer with no leaks) when placing the head on the block follow the Tq Pattern the head calls for..also be sure to use 30 wt oil or the recommended ARP lube between the washer and the nut so you get a nice even pull which ensures your TQ reading..

i know i added a little more info than you ask for but rather give it to you just in case you did not know.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

UhOh, another good discussion!!,
BJ and i think a lot a like be we differ on this one and i'm sure some of the engine builders will also.
First thing chamfer the top of the thread and bottom tap all the block holes. Then clean the holes out like they have herpes.
Set the head on the block and using blue locktite, screw each stud in until you have 1/8 inch of the stud above the nut and washer without the head gasket. pull the head off and let the locktite setup for a day. Then install gaskets and head you should have equal length studs thru out the cyclinder head, then torque to specs.. Distortation come from unequal stud lengths and bottoming out of bolt/studs in the block. Just screwing the stud to the bottom of the thread too hard will distort the cylinder bores, whether plate honed or not.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Zip...i read your reply and i do not see where we differ that much...you might need to re-read my post..most of it was saying what you SHOULD NOT DO..could be confusing if you read over it fast.....other than i do not go the loc-tight route.....
now when i placed the head studs on my big block this past time with Big broadie heads you had to buy the head studs for that type head..they were all different lengths....but now this was Big block stuff..

but help me with understanding where this would effect the TQ plate senerio ?..as lomg as you have equal amount of threads at the top of the head with the proper TQing per stud and pattern,,where could it go wrong...

but i am still missing something here ???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ..

lets discuss this a little more ?...

you been doing this a heck of a lot longer than me i am also willing to learn a thing or two..( with all respect)

thanks Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-22-2007, 05:17 AM
performanceengin
JUNIOR BUILDER

in my years of engine building i have never loctited studs. just a coat of pst thread sealant and just snug down. just my .02 worth
Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

The reason i use blue locktite is because it is a sealant,(some holes go to water) and doesn't set up hard. We all know that the holes are never tapped the same depth and in my opinion you should never bottom a stud out in the the block, that's where the distorsion begins. i guess that was all i was trying to say.
Sorry BJ we're thinking alike.

Zip.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks for the info-I have two head bolt threads in the block that are bad and my engine builder was just going to put studs in the block.I'm having him put TIME SERTS in the two holes with a jig so they are straight and use head bolts,he has performed this procedure with success.What do you think of this procedure?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Studs will distort the deck or main caps different than bolts.the reason is they have fine threads on the top of the stud 7/16 x 14 in the block and 7/16 x 20 on the stud. the fine threads have more leverage than coarse threads in the block so the clamp load is higher than with a bolt at the same torque.if you check a main bearing bore with bolts then install studs you will see the distortion,same with the cylinder except the cylinder distorts more than the mains.Bill
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

(7/16 x 18 in the block)

Bill, i think you meant 7/16 X 14 threads in the blk.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -