Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Another oil pan question for SBC

  1. #1
    Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    36

    Another oil pan question for SBC

    In looking at oil pans for my 383, do you think a kicked out oil pan is better or a straight down pan? This is just for drag race. I was thinking of a kicked out pan, but I think changing the starter might be harder.

    Any suggestions? It needs to be a 7 quart pan.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890
    I run this one, it's cheap and doesn't get in the way of the starter. Also it's cleared for the 383 stroke with little notches in the pan rails. Moroso also make the same pan but more expensive.

    Zip.


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stree...mZ180150941266

  3. #3
    Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    259
    Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890

    oil pans

    Quote Originally Posted by et7333
    Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?
    Sir i have in my possesion 6 oil pans with the pickups. I donot want to be accused of advertising here on RJ, without paying my dues because i don't advertise my stuff. PM me and i can arrange it. Shipping is about $15.00 give or take.
    Any way less than $80.00 complete.

    Zip.

  5. #5
    Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tenn
    Posts
    23
    Picking an oil pan for drag racing should be more than just looking, especially a wet sump. Engineering wise for drag racing, you want the deepest pan that you can get and then pull oil from as far down in the pan as you can get. If you drill an install temp probes, you will find that oil is at different temperatures thru out the pan. At the rear of the pan you want all corners as square as you can get it to resist oil climb up the pan. . Put a piece of sheet metal under the pump and fit it as closely as you can to the pan so that there is no climb up the pan on launch. Run a oil scraper and hand fit it as close as you can to the reciprocating parts so that you can strip all the oil that you can from these rotating part. Run a wire screen under this to brake up the oil into fine mist so that it doesn't hit the oil in the pan and cause aeration. Ant thing that you do keep oil off the cylinder walls will let you reduce the tension on the oil ring, again a gain in horsepower and a better sealing top ring. Will stop hydro planing of top ring. Other items can be done, but my point is do not over look using the pan to make power. Remember this is only my opinion and the women of the house says that ain't even worth two cents on todays market.
    racear

  6. #6
    Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Overland Park in the Great State of KANSAS
    Posts
    9

    Re: oil pans

    Got anything for a 1-piece rear main seal that wold fit a 2nd gen camaro? Preferably with screen and scrapper?
    You seem to have a lot to sell. Do you have a web site?

    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    Quote Originally Posted by et7333
    Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?
    Sir i have in my possesion 6 oil pans with the pickups. I donot want to be accused of advertising here on RJ, without paying my dues because i don't advertise my stuff. PM me and i can arrange it. Shipping is about $15.00 give or take.
    Any way less than $80.00 complete.

    Zip.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: oil pans

    Quote Originally Posted by KATAutomotive
    Got anything for a 1-piece rear main seal that wold fit a 2nd gen camaro? Preferably with screen and scrapper?
    You seem to have a lot to sell. Do you have a web site?

    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    Quote Originally Posted by et7333
    Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?
    Sir i have in my possesion 6 oil pans with the pickups. I donot want to be accused of advertising here on RJ, without paying my dues because i don't advertise my stuff. PM me and i can arrange it. Shipping is about $15.00 give or take.
    Any way less than $80.00 complete.

    Zip.
    I do not have one on hand, but i can have one dropped shipped from the warehouse. That would be a passenger dip stick, with the same pickup as the one mentioned in the prior post. However the screen and wiper are seperate items. The passenger side cost $10.00 more ($90.00 plus shipping) and comes in Black.
    about a website, no i do not have a website, but i think i should open one on RJ. I do have a lot of stock on hand, and i only sell word of mouth.
    Maybe i'll talk to Tom about me building one here on RJ.
    From what's been going on with some of the sellers here we could use an honest one.
    The only thing is i also sell ProComp stuff and most people call them chinese junk.

    Zip.

    PM me if you are intrested

  8. #8
    Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tenn
    Posts
    23
    Zip
    I am porting a set of Procomp heads for a customer so that I can see for my self what the flow is and dip in velocity. I also have a set of Ford small blocks to do after this set. Hope to have enough time to flow. Chevy are going on a 383. The Ford's are going on a 408 W. Let's talk sometime. I love knowlege but I like prices even better.
    racear :?:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy