Electric water pump or mechanical?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Electric water pump or mechanical?

Trying to decide which one to get. Then which one of the type to get?
Any advice?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Electric water pumps are good for 10HP or more savings, the choice is up to you., moroso is good, but there are better and more expensive, it all depends on how much street time the car will see.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Depends on what you want to do: street/strip, strictly race. I've heard alot of good things about the CSR/CSI electric pumps. There are alot of good mech pumps too, Stewart for one.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe I'm old school but I like to see my pump rotating.
I've run both electric and mech, but the elec ones always had me wondering, when it was gonna stop working and how woud I know??
I run a h/v aluminum pump with a electric belt drive kit. its light, cheap, uses less amps than an a full electric and I can see it working>
Charles
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by cepx111
Maybe I'm old school but I like to see my pump rotating.
I've run both electric and mech, but the elec ones always had me wondering, when it was gonna stop working and how woud I know??
I run a h/v aluminum pump with a electric belt drive kit. its light, cheap, uses less amps than an a full electric and I can see it working>
Charles
Well you can see the belt turning but you cant "see" it working. Most pumps i have had still turn when they go bad. The temp gauge is how i know they go bad.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:01 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I have a moroso electric, been running it for about 6 years now with zero issues. run it off a 165 deg temp sw. with electric fan. Comes at the end of the 1/4 and shuts off about 145. The csr works really good as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah duh I know that the engine would get hot if it wasn't working and the same if the impeller quit turning inside which would be true for both, I've used both and never had any issues with either just prefer the old style.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Street- if many road hours are going to be logged i would go mechanical simply because it will last longer then electric...go with the deep pulleys if you go this route..nothing worse then throwing water pump belt after burning the tires off..

Strip- i would go Electric...
#1- it saves hp
#2- you can leave it running after car is back in pits..allows car to cool off much much quicker....How much HP does this make up ????

you will know if it stops working...Most drivers including myself stay glued to the gages..if not you better...My oil and water gage stay in my side vision from the time i leave the line and 5 seconds later...

i knew what you meant Charles...lol

i run a CSR and i am 100% happy...it cost a little more but ..you get what you pay for...Plus it looks GREAT !!!..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks guys for the advice. I think at this point in my wallet i am going with a mech. one. I dont want to get a cheap electric and dont want to spend the $ on a good one.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure you get the Deepest GROOVE PULLEY POSSIBLE..trust me you DO NOT want to throw a water pump belt.....it may cost a little more for the better (deeper groove) pulley but trust me its well worth the cost.

when you size up the belt to the pulleys try to get it where the belt sits so low in the pulley groove that a slight edge of the pulley comes up around each side of the belt..

if you could set up RIB belt it would be even better.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -