Starter help

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Default Starter help

I just put a 447(427) bb chevy into replace my 468(454) and the starter is binding up, I tried to shim it but this did not work. I have a 168 tooth externally balanced flexplate. Could it be I need an internally balanced 153 tooth flexplate? I am using a tci mini starter. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Starter help

Originally Posted by mican
I just put a 447(427) bb chevy into replace my 468(454) and the starter is binding up, I tried to shim it but this did not work. I have a 168 tooth externally balanced flexplate. Could it be I need an internally balanced 153 tooth flexplate? I am using a tci mini starter. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Mike
Nope, the flywheel whether exturnel balance or inturnel balance has nothing to do with the starter hanging up. i'm betting that you have a bad flywheel and the concintrisity is not true to the crankshaft. If you have access to an indicator check the runout on the outside dia. of the flywheel. If the starter worked well before on the 427 it should also work on the 454, there's no differance. For the starter pull the gear forward into the flywheel, put a 1/8" rod at the bottom of the teeth on the starter when engaged, that should give you to proper clearance.

Zip.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I have seen some of these starter take upwards of .100 + to get proper clearances to the flywheel teeth you need to check this with a bar and manual move the starter drive into the flywheel,to make sure it goes into the teeth and returns back with no binding,keep shimming it you'll get it
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

This has nothing to do with your starter problem but unless you have changed the balancing on your motor, a 427 doesn't use externally balanced flexplates or harmonic balancers. The 454 does. So if you used these items off the 454 and put them on the 427 you might want to get the proper items. Might save you some headaches down the road.

As far as the starter, are you using a shim all the way across or have you tried shimming just one side or the other? I'm with Tom. I have seem them take a bunch to come out right.

George
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Damn i missed that, you cannot use a 454 flywheel on a 427/447 without balance problems, you should have a nutural bal flywheel. But that has nothing to do with the starter hanging up.
It's a starter problem plain and simple but i would replace the fywheel with a "0" balance flywheel, otherwise you could wipe out the rear/main bearing.

JMO

Zip.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Default starter

Ordered a neutral flexplate today for the 427(447) also ordered a new front block for my starter to see if that would fix my problem, I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the help. Mike