Help?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
WVProStreet
APPRENTICE

Default Help?

I just picked up an S-10 with the following engine combo, and it starts and runs but loads up if it sits for any time at all. Can I jet it down and take care of this? I would like to keep the carb thats on it, I believe it has the stock #73 jets on both ends...what would you recommend? Thanks

383 stroker with around 450hp...The block is a 010 4 bolt main. Internally balanced bored and honed with torc plates .30 over. Steel crank.CA rods all ARP bolts. Block was sonic checked. New style Vortec heads.hyd lifters. Comp cam custom ground 512 lift.comp valve springs. Double row timing chain. Melling high volume oil pump. True 10 3/4 comp almost 11.1.Speed pro hypereutectic pistons with coated skirts. Polished Aluminum fabricated valve covers. Milodon 7 qt oil pan. Elebrock aluminum water pump. Holley 4150 series 950hp.Polished aluminum intake Hurricane. Aluminum pulleys. Griffin radiator. Sanderson ceramic coated headers.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Set-UP?

SEEMS Like alot of Carb for the MOUSE?A 750 would work Just SWEET!
A 4779 Holley.
But,thats just my OPINION?
Later
G 8)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Yea I'm thinking a smaller carb also.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM
knova70
SENIOR BUILDER

Thaty carb is way to big! as everybody else said use a 750 or maybe a 650 DP,it will run alot better,big is not always better?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah hate to say it but your carb is on the HUGE side for the engine you described. I'd say hang on to it though and build a high compression 406 with a big solid roller cam and it will love it.
On the other hand if you just have to use that carb, first thing I would do is check your float level its idling to rich and has nothing to do with your main jets A likely cause could be a high float level after checking or adjusting float level and still idles rich you'll need to adjust your idle mixture screws, run them all the way in till lightly seated and back out one half turns, thats usually a good starting point then go either back in or out to get a smooth idle, remembering not to make to big a adjustments while doing this, some carbs are real senstive in this area. Goodluck, Charles
Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Cepx brought up a good point. I run a 950hp on my truck, and it is extremely sensitive to the idle mixture adjustment. The pesky things seem to back out about ten passes or so. I'm with the rest of the bunch though, I believe the carb is a tad large for the current set up.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 AM
WVProStreet
APPRENTICE

Thanks guys. I will try to adjust the float level first. Idle mixture screws on the sides of the metering blocks? Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

If that carb hasn't been molested the stock jetting is 78 all the way around,with 73 jets someone probably has richened the idle mixture to cover up a lean stumble.put the stock jetting back in and reset the idle mixture and adjust from there. a large carb on a small engine needs more jet and smaller high speed air bleeds, you don't have the velocity to tip in the boosters soon enough to prevent a stumble without overly rich idle settings.Bill
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 AM
WVProStreet
APPRENTICE

When I adjust the idle mixture..Is it the 2 screws on the metering block? And, will I have to mess with the rear metering block screws also? Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Warm the engine up,shut it down,screw all 4 mixture screws in until they lightly seat.back all 4 out 1.5 turns,start the engine and turn all 4 in or out 1/4 turn at a time until you get the highest idle speed.you may need to slow the idle sped down as you do this if the screws were set way rich.after you find your highest idle sped richen the mixture 1/8 turn on each screw.this will put you in the ball park.Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -