Thread: Need transmission help how to wire up a 700r4.

Junior Member APPRENTICE

Need transmission help how to wire up a 700r4.

I just traded for a dually that was originally a diesel with,I think a 4l60e. Truck now has a crate 454 and a 700r4 and when the swap was done,they didnt hook up any wiring to the trans. Speedometer doesnt work of course,but what I am worried about is the torque converter doesnt lock up and the transmission doesnt shift correctly. Can anyone tell me how to wire in the 700r4 to the trucks harness or is there an aftermarket adapter that I can get? Thanks in advance for any help.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    For lockup, all you need is power to the A terminal and ground the D terminal. When powered, it will lockup in all gears. Also, to avoid stalling, you will need to hook it up to your brake lights. When you apply the brake, it needs to interrupt the power to the lockup. If you don't do this, you'll need to switch the power on/off every time you stop.
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Thanks,I really appreciate it. I will try that.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Thank you,sir.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    or you could remove the pan, put a low presure switch in the 4th control valve, this switch will have 2 wires one goes to the lockup sol, the other will go to a 12 volt source external when the key is on, ground internally the other wire on the lock up sol, no when the car is in 4th gear only the tork will lockup. i do this lots for hot rods, works nice..the switch you need is in the older 700r4 trans like 82-83. units..

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    or you can buy a brake light switch for a 1965 ford f150 2wd and it will be the same thing trust me im a builder as well