Need Help With 93 Camaro V6 With V8 Swap Out

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM
l273
SHOW GUEST

Default Need Help With 93 Camaro V6 With V8 Swap Out

I have a 93 camaro fuel injected 3.4L v6 automatic trans. and i want to put a 1970 sbc carboroated 350 v8 with a turbo 350 automatic trans in it.

Does anybody know how i can get the factory speed odometer, and guages to work using the older model motor and trans or where i can find a aftermarker bolt in guage cluster kit.

What motor mounts, headers and transmission mounts should i use or does anybody know of a swap over kit that are available. i was thinking about making my own kit but thought i would ask.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

dont quite know for sure on the swap over Kit...but if i were in your shoes and was thinking about doing the same thing as you i would be thinking this route.

1- front Tubular 'K" member..all bolt in stuff..this will give you much clearance with the headers plus take about 75lbs off the front end..( a kit is sold for this)..can be installed on a Saturday.

2- i would go with a front motor plate..and welding shop can mount this plate with a dummy block sitting in the car...this will elimnate a bunch of fabrication or guess work...unless you can find a direct conversation that will bolt up to the v-8 motor mount spaces..if the v-6 car has v-8 spaces..etc..

3- i would go with a 350 or 400 turbo..Rossler makes a great street strip tranny..you can get your speedo to work with this tranny.

this is extactley how i would pursue this situation.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 AM
l273
SHOW GUEST

Does anybody know how i can get the factory speed odometer, and guages to work using the older model motor and trans or where i can find a aftermarker bolt in guage cluster kit.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:44 AM
l273
SHOW GUEST

Can I get some help
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 AM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Your gauges will work if you use the sending units from the 3.4: oil press, temp. Put them in the small block and plug into the stock harness.

As for a motor mount kit, go to the parts house and get the motor mounts for a small block 93 Camaro, pretty simple. Bolt em in, the chassis is already punched for them.

Your tach should work too, it will be the white wire paired with the thick pink wire going to your coil, unless it's DIS.

The stock speedo I'm not sure about, you'll need a converter first to take the cable speed from the trans and convert it to a electronic signal the speedo can use. Dakota digital makes different conversion setups for this, check with them.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Trizzle
SHOW GUEST

Default camaro conversion

I have done this. It was a 2 month project for me and the only gauges that work on my are aftermarket gauges. I ran a motor plate system and a turbo 350 trans. I put the motor where i needed it and used the old trans mount. once you get the motor in the car the work is done. Also i put the motor in from the bottom instead of the top. if you have any more questions let me know my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Trizzle
SHOW GUEST

If you wanna see pics my car is for sale on this site. or on my page on racing junk.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

IMO, i would leave the 4L60E in it. 3.06 1st gear ratio plus a .70 overdrive for cruising with lower gears. Then you would'nt have to mess with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the tail housing. Yes you can swap out the OE sensoers from the 4.3L. The biggest challange will be the fuel tank stuff. 45-50psi of fuel pressure down to 6-8psi., Cooling fans will have to have a seperate temp switch now. OE is ran off the computer. There is much more to it.