car wont rpm on the brake was told it was the converter

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
chevy1936
SHOW GUEST

Default car wont rpm on the brake was told it was the converter

:? have a 482 bbc and a glide just ahd the converter freshend about 2 months ago. slowly developed a problem that when i stage i cant the car to rpm against the brake. acts like it is flooding. checked the crank trigger checked the injection. reset all the ignition stuff. rotor phasing and took it for a test drive and it still acts about the same. i set the brake and the engine will go to about 3000 and stall there like it is flooding. then sometimes it will go to 4900 where it is supposed to stall. also when it does this problem it also wont even crack the rpm when im rolling along. raced for 10yrs never had this trouble.. any help would be great thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

They will be along to help you I just want to say welcome to Racing Junk and enjoy the site.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Welcome to RJ forum,chevy1936

It does sound like a converter issue,I'd suspect the converter sprag is broken or the bearing has gone south in the converter
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM
chevy1936
SHOW GUEST

ok i pulled the converter and it had very fine particles in the fluid. i then put the input shaft into the converter and spun it with my cordless drill and can feel some roughness and hear some noise. it is on its way back to tci for some investigation. very weird problem and hopefully it is the converter i tore the tranny down and have found no troubles. the material is a brass or bronze color and checked all parts in the tranny for wear but it is in excellent shape.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

pull your input shaft out and make sure your brass input shaft ring has not broken or come off inside the converter. ( long shot but possible).you may or may not have the brass ring..some shafts do and some do not..
when you mentioned brass color this is the only brass i can think of that would be anywhere close to getting inside the converter..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
chevy1936
SHOW GUEST

tci cut open the converter. ah hah it was the converter they built it incorrectly. the metal i had in the pan was actually alluminum and some brass. the aluminum was the stator rubbing and the brass was the brazing from the fins. i have broken other converters but they have always been pretty obvious what it was. this time it was pretty elusive. glad to have it back and working. havent ran it yet but am looking forward to a day at the track with a car i can race and dial again thanks to everyone who replied i appreciate it.