can't get aeroquip fittings over my braided lines

Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default can't get aeroquip fittings over my braided lines

i bought 10 an line and aeroquip fittings i think it goes over the braided stainless but every time i cut it the stainless flares out any ideas? the line i bought off ebay it had none reusable fittings on
Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

ZANO : You first have to put tape around the hose tightly were you are going to cut it ( Duct tape or black electric tape ). If you have an air cut - off wheel with a thin blade it works best. Mark and cut in the center of the tape you put on. Sometimes i have left the black tape on to keep it from freying and had no leaks. Also spray WD-40 on the fitting & the inside of the hose. You must hold the hose tightly in the hose end while you screw the fitting in. It is a B$#@h but take your time. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Be sure to wash your new hoses out really well before you put them on!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i cut them with black tape on its like the lines to big its goodridge line. also the aeroquip fittings don't screw on they have barbs inside so you just push the hose inside i find that kind of strange if i cut the stainless off the hose it works good but i don't know if it would hold and it looks terrible any other ideas can this AN line be different .
Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default AN

Sounds to Me like you have PushLock Fittings?Every AN Type of Fitting that is on the market is a 2 Peice Design,and the Innner male Part is Threaded,and the Nut will have inner threads!
Later
G 8)
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: AN

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Sounds to Me like you have PushLock Fittings?Every AN Type of Fitting that is on the market is a 2 Peice Design,and the Innner male Part is Threaded,and the Nut will have inner threads!
Later
G 8)
+2 Either wrong hose, or wrong fittings.

This is what you have...

This is what you need...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i have the bottom one the part that goes over the hose has barbs inside. the inter piece has threads part #fcm1014 10 straightaqp hose ftg
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Ok, I get what you're saying now. The barbs are inside the nut. What works for me when assembling hose ends is make a clean cut, spray as bit of lube into the fitting you push the hose into before you screw it to the fitting, you really have to push and wiggle it to get it to seat all the way. More lube on the threads when you put everything together and screw it together till the nut and fitting are approx 1/16" apart. Flush it out and install.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

but the problem is i can't get the braided line inside the fitting do you mean lube the stainless braides? because thats what i can't get over top
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Like it was said above, try to keep the tape on after it's cut, and make sure the tape is tight, it'll help. Or else, you could use a hose clamp to cinch the braids together so they can be pushed inside the nut. As you work the hose/braids inside, move the clamp back till it's not needed. As you found out, it can be a PITA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -