SBC Blower Question

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Project91SS
SHOW GUEST

Default SBC Blower Question

I am just a humble backyard mech who has a question. Can you take a roots style 3.8l supercharger from a buick or pontiac and convert it for use on a sbc? I have seen this done with the 3.8l ford roots style to a 4.6 and was wondering if I can do the same? Thankyou
Old 07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Project91SS
SHOW GUEST

Default HMMMMMMMMM

I guess not, thanks for the help?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry you have not had any response, the guys are usually on this stuff pretty quick.

Give it a few more days. 8)

I am not a blower/supercharger guy.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Personally, I don't think it would have the capacity to work on a small block, and if you overdrivin it, it would just heat the air up. Then you have to engineer a way to mount the induction since the throttlebody mounts off the end of the SC.

If you doubled them up, who knows. :?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:14 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i agree with JBS.....could you get the thing to work "Bolt up"..i would say YES because all you are looking at is getting the blower to bolt on to the intake ( throttle body)..it may take a little fabrication but could happen..personally i would not waste the time or money on this project...

Sorry i saw your post but was waiting for someoen else to answer that might have had a better answer than me..

Good luck and if you proceed with project please tell us how it works.

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

BRIAN!!!!---I THUNK IT WAS A GOOOOOD ANSWER!!!!---DENNIS
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

probably the reason no one has replied before, is because no one has seen one done before. But in this day and age, someone could whittle out and adapter, drive and some kind of carb/throttle body adapter, but will it be cost effective?, and I agree the blower is rather small, so you will probably not get the performance you seek.
If you want a roots blower, get one of those weiand or bds street kits, if you dont want something sticking up out of the hood, then get a pro charger.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

For what it would cost for one of those Eaton/Magason blower, They are not cheap, and if they are, their scrap. All the time and money to get it to fit, because if you can wittle up some kind of adaptor for a carb, it'll be sitting where the dist is at. You'll be better off getting a 144 Weiand and running it.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it.