Restrictive Mufflers?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 AM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

Default Restrictive Mufflers?

Guys, I need your advice/opinions. I switched my mufflers out for a new set, and the first time back to the track, I ran .6 seconds SLOWER! The 60' time was with-in .03. The old set of mufflers were DynoMax race bullets, essentially a swell in the pipes.(3" x 16") And I switched to a set of FlowMaster Super 40's. (also 3" dia. pipes) Any advice/ideas would be welcome. Thanks-Dave
Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
margaritaman
JUNIOR BUILDER

There is a reason folks call them "Chokemasters."
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

:shock: whaaa...? You better fill me in! I think I've been out of the loop for too long. :roll: The reason I switched the mufflers is that it's my street car ,too. I'd been livin' on luck just a bit too long, so I thought( :roll: ) I'd quiet it down a little. It still ain't that quiet. I didn't know that they(the FlowMasters) were THAT restrictive. :shock:
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Thats not to bad for a flowmaster i tryed a few kinds of mufflers and the race bullets worked the best for me but i also had 6 foot of tail pipe .
Old 07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

This car has the "old school" dumps before the axle, with the turn-downs facing slightly to the out side. Not much for tail pipe. :lol:
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
junkyarddawg
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by ash
:shock: whaaa...? You better fill me in! I think I've been out of the loop for too long. :roll: The reason I switched the mufflers is that it's my street car ,too. I'd been livin' on luck just a bit too long, so I thought( :roll: ) I'd quiet it down a little. It still ain't that quiet. I didn't know that they(the FlowMasters) were THAT restrictive. :shock:
Yes, it is true. If you look at some of the tests done you will find Flowmasters are not the master of flow, like they claim to be.

In fact Flowmasters have been found to be the worst flowing muffler on the market. But they're so popular everyone has to have them.

In my personal experience, I have found running a Flowmaster and then swapping it out for a Dynomax Ultraflow has unleashed power never felt before within the engine.

IMO Flowmasters are for basic street cars that aren't high powered that you just want to make "sound good". And that's the misconception most people have IMO. They think "if it makes it sound good it must also be a good flowing muffler and help the engine make all kinds of power". Not so.

If I were you I'd sell those mufflers and replace them with Dynomax Ultraflows. You be thankful later.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 AM
nabit
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I have a question along the same lines..

How restrictive are the 4" one chamber racing flows since they only have the one angled baffle compared to other mufflers by flowmaster, and other all out race mufflers?

thanks!!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks, guys. Your answers are confirming what I was starting to believe. :cry: I think I'm going back to the DynoMax's. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Droptoprace
SHOW GUEST

I have been using Aero Turbine mufflers and have not been diappointed, I would suggest looking into them. I believe Dynomax use to be the exhaust of NASCAR but now Aero Exhaust is.