Tryint to buy a car safely - help?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
davidwolfe
SHOW GUEST

Default Tryint to buy a car safely - help?

I am a new member and I am negotiating the purchase of a car. I am in Illinois and the car is in North Carolina.

I did a search on the web and found a transport company, but how do get my money to the seller and get the title - without risking that he will take my money and keep the title?

This may be listed somewhere else, but I didn't see anything about this.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:27 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

this is one of those times to where you should spend the extra money and take the trip..inspect the car..take someone with you that knows cars really well if you do not...negotiate the price with seller beforehand and agree on the price and get a certified bank check for the amount. it would be good to get a check from a bank that is in every state example( bank america) ..so that when you take it to seller you and he can go and cash the check or at least verify..this can hold you up if not done properly. think from the sellers shoes on this one...

ok once you inspect car, get title in hand and verify to Vin# and verify its the sellers car..( it could be open title) if thats the case and as long as the previous owner has signed the title with proper paperwork of ownership..YOUR OK....

if you cannot take the car back with you at that time..then i would see to it that the car is taken to the transporter and left with them with all paperwork in hand to where the next stop the car makes is where you want it to go...

The way i just mentioned is a sure fire way to make it happen..in fact i cannot see it done another way..you have to look at the car in person at a minimum..

Brian
Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 AM
davidwolfe
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the inforamtion.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 AM
margaritaman
JUNIOR BUILDER

There are also escrow companies that will help do the deal. Although I've never used one, I have friends that have, and successfully I might add. But as Brian said, make the trip.
I drove from California to Florida to get mine. 4186 miles in 68 hours slip seating with a buddy.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Another thought is perhaps we have a member in the same city that will assist in looking at the car for you..I realize your wanting to protect the purchase right now, but if you let the city out then we can look for the member and go from there..Just a thought.....
Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Good idea..Perry.........................MASON.....

LOL...... 8) 8) ..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "