Thread: dipstick

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

dipstick

i got this 632 b.b. chevy from bowers i have no idea what brand oil pan is on it. its 1/4 inch pipe thread were the dip stick goes in. my lokar will not fit and i don't know how far the dip stick should go in or how full the pan should be of oil. any ideas? thanks zano

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Change the oil, put the correct amount of oil in it, and set the dipstick to that level,

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    how do i know what the correct amount is if i don't know what oil pan it is?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    If it is a stock type pan without kickouts, you can measure the depth of the sump and compare it to the depth of a Moroso pan. The Moroso info should give the capacity info. You can get the info in Jegs or Summit, i believe. Then you can mark the stick as previously posted.

If you can manage to get Bowers on yhe phone ask him what kind of oil pan it is!

Is it a sump style pan, or box style? Check the catalogs or go on summit or jegs site and look at pics of pans to see what it could be.
    A 632 probably is a box style or special pan for clearences,

As stated in another post, you really dont need the dipstick, put in the proper amount of oil, poor it in and then place the quart containers on a talbe, and count them after to make sure....seen mistakes here. :shock:

To check the level after, look under the car, if there is no puddle of oil then you still have the proper amount in there.... :lol:

If you have a little blue cloud following you around when you drive, then you need to fix the motor
    The oil should be changed after every race day or weekend anyway, or onced a month depending on how hard you hammer on this thing, to check for junk in the oil anyways. The oil coming out of the motor, and what is in the filter is a very good diagnostic tool to show early signs of engine problems
    Ed

i'm thinking best way is take the measurements of your sump and compare it to over pans in catalogs.should be able to find something close to same.that will get you into ball park of how much oil your oil pan holds...as for oil dipstick..moroso makes a oil dipstick kit for all oil pans with 1/4'' NPT FITTING.the part number for it is #25970