Gotta dent in my slicks

Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Gotta dent in my slicks

I was working on the rear suspension on my Camaro. I started to put the wheels and tires back on and noticed a huge dent on the inside of my slick on the passenger side. Kinda looks like when the cord seperates on a radial tire. I just bought this set of Mickey Thompson tires this season and put tubes in them at that time. Does anybody know what this could be?
Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Vince: i think you hit it on the head in the 1st part of your sentence..i would bet Big money that the wall material of the slick was compromised and gave up on the tire..i think i would have to take it off and go back to my distributer if they are as new as i think they may be...i would think M/T would make this good

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

This might also happen if your tubes are to big for the slick. The tube might fold inside the slick and create a dent.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

I recently put some brand new Goodyears on a car that had what I think that you are referring to. They were both sucked in some on the inside sidewall, and not a smooth/even surface all the way around. I attributed it to the molds and quality of out of USA slicks (I think they were made in Chile?). They took about 7oz to balance with tubes installed, but otherwise ran fine.

Bill M
Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Nofear69, I just read your post. Mine had the large M/T tubes which are called for the slicks which were 14x32. The slicks, rims, and tubes were all new, but it could have been the tubes not inflating evenly. I was recently told to add extra baby powder to help ensure that the tubes smooth out. I haven't tried that, yet.

Bill M
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

That is common, I've seen this problem in slicks that I have installed without tubes. Didn't cause any problems. Like mentioned earlier, it could also be caused by your tubes. Try deflating them and reinflating them to see if it's the tubes and they will reposition themselves before you take them apart. George
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks everybody for your comments. I think tonite I'm going to break the slicks down and see what the tubes and tire looks like. I'll Look to see if the tubes are balled up or the tire is got something going on in that area. It's kinda strange it's on both tires inside the side of the tires right between the M and the T. Sounds like BS but it's true. Same place on both tires. Outside wall of the tires are fine. Where gunna call Mickey Thompson and see what they say. I was just wondering if I should run the car like this. We didn't feel any vibrations last time out.
Thanks again guys.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know if it's tire problem or a tube problem, but i do know if you put tubes in a slick you need to put about 1/2 can/bottle of baby powder in each tire before ever blowing it up.
I also run tubes in my tires, but most everyone i know does not. the solution to leaking tubeless slicks is to put 1/2 bottle of dish washing soap in before installation, i mean mop it in and the tire will never leak. Everyone i know uses this method.

Just my 2 cents.

Zip.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Tires

I just finished breaking down my slicks. The tire looks good and no signs of a problem. I called Mickey Thompson and as usual they were no help. They didn't have a clue :roll:
Anyway I put 1/2 can of powder in each slick after I made sure the tube wasn't kinked around the rim. After I air the tire up the dent went away for now. Were gunna try it Friday night. I guess I'll just keep and eye on it for now. Hope that took care of it. I did notice I didn't put a lot of powder the first time so maybe this will do it.
Thanks again for your guys help.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

How did the slicks seem after the powder and airing them back up?

Did the dent stay gone or comeback on you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -