Bought motor w/trans

Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
illss
APPRENTICE

Default Bought motor w/trans

I bought a motor an trans combo an was used but not as described . It has a large amount of blowby ,ticking slight knock with metallic in oil . I drove all the way to michigan an rented a van which all together costed me 1000 (700 for the seller an van rental + gas) . complete waste of time an money ! heres the link http://www.racingjunk.com/post/88622...turbo-350.html
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

I am sorry but what seems to be the issue?

The ad states "I just removed the original strong running 400/350 from my 1971 impala! Its a little dirty, with 109,XXX miles. 4bolt main block, two barrel carb. price includes engine,trans,dist,exhaust man,waterpump! thanks for looking"

Does it not run strong?
Were you expecting a new engine for $800.00 plus the trans?

It has over 100,000 miles.

For a complete engine and trans I think what you paid is in the ballpark, considering I have seen 400 blocks bare go for as much as $500.00.

Did he misrepresent anything about it not smoking or that it was a rebuilt engine? Is it a 4 bolt main? Did he tell you it had no knocks?
Had he checked the oil for metal filings?

When you drove down and picked it up di you check the oil on it for metal?
I would have pulled the pan and tried to hook it up and test fired it.

Were you just going to run this motor as is or did you plan on rebuilding it?

Please clarify where he has misreprented what he sold to you.

Thanks

Edit...added to response
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i am with Carl on this one...the motor was advertsied as the orginal motor out of a 1971 automobile (36 yrs old)....come one man...it even looked like a dinosaur in the picture..you could not have expected much more than this.....i think you did good on the price..the traveling expenses were a little harsh but thats not the sellers fault.......

sorry but i cannot see where a motor was mis-represented at being 36 yrs old and ( orginal ).....my carb cost $400 more than the entire package you purchased..

let me ask you a question anbd please be honest:

WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING ? AND DID YOU READ THE SAME AD I READ WITH THE PICS ETC...

Thanks- brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

illss welcome to Racing Junk hope you will hang around and learn some good lessons as we all do from this great site. I would just like to say that if your engine an trans that you bought for $800.00 with 109xxx miles and 36 years old and all original lasted longer then 8 mins then you have done better then some people that spent a lot more on a new engine. I would think that the ticking sound would be from a weak lifter so maybe you could change the oil and filter and run it 300 or 400 miles and then change the filter again and put some good oil treatment in it to help with the blow by. I would not use this engine for drag racing. Thanks again for telling us your story and enjoy the site.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

SOUNDS LIKE A FAIR DEAL TO ME 8) 8) 100,000 MILES IS JUST BROKE IN GOOD AND WELL SEASONED TO GET A GOOD ENGINE OUT OF!---MY 2 CENTS
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

I'm with all the guys, Lively, Brain, Carl and Wes. And add that you can't count anything but gas for travel, you should have your own truck or tag along to start with. No sympathy on this one.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Well I guess I might as well add the PIGS opinion here also...I looked at the ad and there is no way I would have given $200 for the whole thing had it been in "my city"...I am sorry but just look at it and consider its age and he clearly states it is original and has over 100k miles on it...Now had you been buying the engine behind it that is covered with plastic you would have stolen a deal...But I think you must have gottten excited and made an error in judgement on this one...Of course I do have to add, the guy that placed the ad has a set of big gonads to fish that deep with that picture and description he used and scored $800 with it...What a fisherman he is...Oh, and please do not be offended or think we are a bunch of smart alecs but you asked and we are being sincere so please hang around and get to know all of the folks on this site..
Old 06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

GEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!--NEWS FLASH---THE MAN WITH THE BIG GONADS HAS BEEN A MEMBER FOR OVER 2 YEARS!!!!!---I HOPE HE MAKES AN HONOR PAYMENT WITH SOME OF THAT LOOSE MONEY :shock: :shock: :shock:STOP IT LIVELY ,STOP IT :evil: :evil:
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I got to say it doesn't sound like he misrepresented anything to me. If it actually runs your lucky! A good 400 block, heads and rebuildable trans would cost that much if you bought them individually. Doesn't sound like a bad deal accept for the travel expense. Think I would have found something closer to home. Not sure what you expected 109,000 miles and being original. :?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM
illss
APPRENTICE

http://www.racingjunk.com/read_message/9388257

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -