Horrible Accident involving Drag Car

Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Horrible Accident involving Drag Car

if everyone would take a moment in silence for the victims of this past weekend...there was a charity event in TN for disabled children. there was a alcoho, blown injected car that was doing a burnout for the spectators ( on the street)..it lost control and killed severeal people...i will try to copy and past the story....

this was a terrible thing. take time to think about victims and their families....
below is the article

Drag Racing Crash Kills Seven at Parade
By WILL YORK
AP
SELMER, Tenn. (June 17) - Three more people have died after a drag-racing car went out of control and careened into a crowd of spectators, raising the death toll to seven, state officials said Sunday.
The crash occurred Saturday night during an "exhibition burnout" -- when a driver spins his tires to make them heat up and smoke -- at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said the seven who died included a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old. At least eight people were taken to hospitals and several others had minor injuries, he said.

Amateur video of the crash, broadcast on WMC-TV in Memphis, showed the car's engine revving loudly before the vehicle sped down a highway lined with spectators on both sides. After a few hundred feet, the smoking car skidded off the road.

There was a guard rail along at least part of the highway, but there was no guard rail where the crash occurred.

The identities of the victims and the driver were not immediately released.

Mourners placed small votive candles at the crash site early Sunday.

Witness Scott Henley said the vehicle started burning off its tires, then fishtailed and slammed into a utility pole before spinning around into the audience.

Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."
Most Popular - Last 24 Hours
• 1957 Pontiac Unearthed in Oklahoma
• Missing Girl Feared Dead Emerges From Woods
• Disciplinary Panel Disbars Duke Prosecutor
• Thousands of Pearls Found in Shipwreck
• Backlash Against 'Zero Tolerance' Grows
"I saw body parts flying everywhere," said witness Sean Hood.

Witness Garett Moore said he thought the show was over and was about to walk across the highway when he saw the dragster racing toward him. He was about 15 feet from the wreck, but was uninjured.

"It ain't really safe to do anything with drag cars on a city street," Moore said.

Matthew Brammer, administrator of AMS Pro Modified Series, which sanctions drag races, said late Saturday that the car involved has been driven by drag racer Troy Critchley, of Wylie, Texas, but he did not know if Critchley was driving when the car struck the crowd.

The AMS Pro Modified Series later issued a news release saying the driver was a veteran of more than 20 years in drag racing and had to be taken to an emergency room.

The release said the driver was performing a burnout when road conditions caused the car to go out of control.

"The race team is in shock and deeply saddened by this unexpected event. Their hearts and prayers are with the injured people and their families," the release said.

Sheriff's officials and police closed the festival shortly after the crash. About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event.

Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.

The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident.

Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site.

A statement posted on the Cars for Kids Web site Sunday offered an apology to the victims and their families. "The loss is deep within our hearts and we will carry the scars of each loss forever," the statement said.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-06-17 07:48:50

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

that is sad brian i read it earlier on another site.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Yeah, VERY SAD, looks like same article I saw on MSN home Page. Haven't seen or heard anything else, as of yet.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Realgone
APPRENTICE

Will be praying for the familys that lost love ones and also the driver of the car. I know that he is not doing well and needs our prayer also.
Woodswife, Vicki
Old 06-17-2007, 12:52 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

here are pics of the car that hit the people
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...17074709990001
Old 06-17-2007, 01:05 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

there is also a video on msnbc website of the burnout
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

God Speed and RIP to the victims and their families!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

http://competitionplus.com/index.php...=3059&Itemid=6

*EDIT
Video deleted

Tom
Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default wreck

man o man this is just terrible. as a driver of a funny car my heart and prayers goes out to all the familys of the lossed ones and also to the injuried.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:41 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

This video really chocked me up very much

Prayers sent to all the familys,injured,and to those that parrished

I also send my sympathy to Troy and Team AMS,this is devastating to the racing communitys

God Bless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -