Advise Please. Whats The Best Method...

Old 06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

Default Advise Please. Whats The Best Method...

Advise Please. Whats The Best Method To Load And Unload A Dragster From a Trailer?
Boards, Ramps, Dollys, Etc...
Thanks In Advance.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

It is against the law to unload a dragster like that on boards! LOL What kind of trailer do you have, is it a dovetail or a flat dragster trailer ?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've had several types of trailer, dovetail, with none and inverted. Best investment was bigger bumpers on the door and trailer door ramp that pit pal sells. I still have to jack the front of the trailer up, a long ways without the dovetail. A easy way also is to build a dragster lift to pick the front of the car in the air.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Hammertime is right 3" bumpers and a 5' ramp. The only thing i dont like about dovetails is if you are not very careful you can trash the center panels of your car by dragging them over the tie downs!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
sc3314
JUNIOR BUILDER

You can also put some air into the slicks when loading and unloading. Helps to stop dragging the body on the trailer floor. Also spend the $$ for an electric trailer jack. Better angle when loading, and helps us old guys avoid any problems.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM
raz1056
APPRENTICE

I had aflat floor 24' Pace and I backed my truck up on a set of oil change ramps and drove my dragster in with no problems.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default loading

man theres a loaded question lol seriously we all have that problem bumbers on the back door work in tandum with a "flap" on the end of the door extending the loading surface also raising up the front of the trailer is a great way as well we just use a winch on a trolley to pick up the front of the car and just push it in! winch at wal mart 50.00 and make your own overhead trolly system mike
Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Here's what I use. My trailer has the dove tail floor in it and I have the ramp door with the extensions Hammeritme spoke of. My dragster is 240" WB. I don't lift the front of the trailer at all, as this hand cart lifts the front end of the dragster about 12" off the floor. I don't think you have a Princess Auto store in the US but the cart would be real easy to make. I took the trailer ball off the cart and built a small cradle to take it's place. I position the cradle under the frame at the front of the car, pull back to lift the front end and walk the dragster out of the trailer. Loading is just as easy. The cradle swivels on the cart so I can swing the front of the dragster 90 degrees if necessary.

http://www.princessauto.com/truck-tr...eyword=trailer
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

We have a dolly to lift the front. Car gets driven in while someone steers. My other buddy uses a remote winch with the cable attached to the rear and dollies his into the trailer. The dolly also duplicates as a front end jack.

When we had the truck and trailer we built a step ramp system. Pull up, put the ramps behind the rear tire and back up on to the ramp. Then we could roll the car in and out.

Like some have mentioned, a nice long flap door 4-6 feet and the tall rubber bumpers will help a lot. Adding a little air in the rears always help and so does running the front of the trailer up some.