Towing with RV

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

Default Towing with RV

I am considering buying an RV to tow a 28ft enclosed haulmark tlr with. The ones I am looking at have the 5.9 cummins turbo diesel and auto trans. One unit is 32ft the other is 36ft, do you guys think they would handle that trailer pretty good.
Thanks,
Randy
Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

The diesel engine's got the grunt of course, the A/T may need an additional cooler.

BUT, remember, unlike a truck an RV is basically made to tow itself. Check the manufacturer's towing capacity rating and bounce that against the weight of your trailer PLUS what you plan on putting inside. The difference in footage only plays in turning around and parking, weight is the big issue.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
tazracing
SENIOR BUILDER

I HAVE 24 FT C CLASS WINNABAGO IT TOWS 24FT TRAILER WITH DRAGSTER,GOLF CART ,TOOL BOX AND A DRUM OF FUEL IT DOES GREAT. THE FRAME IS ALL ONE PEICE .THAT WHAT I WAS TOLD TO LOOK FOR.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Rv towing

I have a 34ft Coachman Cross country with a cummings 300hp. It has a frieghtliner chassis. I towed a 24 ft enclosed trailer for 1 year and have had no problems. I figured the trailer was approx 10,000lbs loaded. I found out thru frieghtliner that my RV was set up for a 10,000lb hitch. But, Coachman put a 5,000 lb hitch on the RV. So, with the equalizer hitch I figure I was able to tow 6,000 lbs. Not really enough hitch for waht I am wanting to do. Frieghtliner says there chassis will tow 10,000lbs but Coachman says 6180lbs is the limit. I since bought a 32ft trailer and took my RV to a trailer manufacturer to get the hitch upgraded to haul 12 to 15,000lbs. My diesel will handle the load with no problem but I was concerned about the frame. That's why I'm having them beef things up.
It's hard to get freightliner or the RV dealer to commit to anything. I have seen RV's hauling stackers but they need to be upgraded to what your hauling. Again power for me isn't an issue. Hope this helps. If you need more info PM me and I will give you my number.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
daddylynch
SENIOR BUILDER

We tow with a 30 foot Damon Challenger with the Ford v-10. Plenty of power to tow with and we also had the frame and hitch beefed up to what I wanted it to be. The rv Manf. will only say what they are rated for from the Factory. When we bought ours I wanted them to install a 10,000 lb hitch and they wouldnt. So i had my wifes uncle do the modification. Other than that a RV is the only way to go to the races !!!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Default rv's

I tow a 24ft trailer with my rv and just up graded the hitch to class 5 and use weight distribution bars(1200)'s, and i seem to be ok, checking underneath rv, periodically, a-ok so far. everyone says no way, but i know 15 guys doing it without even upgrading anything, but i choose to be safer!!!! some are towing 30ft trailers, i would like to get a trailer toad or tuff tow but dam they get good money for the trailer toad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! next year!!! any thoughts ???
Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

I was looking at the toads also, I think I can build one cheaper than that 8) . If you had to back up you would be in a bind though.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
rsrsfishslayers
MASTER BUILDER

Just sold my 28ft enclosed took it down to AZ with race car no problems towing with a f250 power stroke.
CPT.RON
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I got a 35 ft. allegro with 454, that i thought about towing a 26ft. Halmark. the MH has tag wheels. But once i started looking underneath the MH, damn the chassis is not as strong as my chevy duelly. Plus the length could be miserable to get in gas stations and pits. So now that MH is for sale and i've got a 22 footer comming my way once i sell the long one. It's just me and maybe one other person who go's to the races so that's big enough for me (no wifey) and no i don't want to take one off your hands.

Zip.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I pull my 34 foot enclosed with a 34 foot class A. I have done no modifications to the MH and hav no issues. It was already braced up at the rear because the generator is back there. My trailer loaded is right around 10,000 pounds. I am selling the trailer though, because its a Pain in the a$$ to drive a 76'4" rig around to get gas and whatnot... I always heard that you did not want a trailer longer than your Motorhome.

ALWAYS CHECK THE CHASSIS GVW....

I hope this is helpful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -