oil ring rail supports

Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default oil ring rail supports

I was wondering I was looking in my box of pistons for my 496 and I seen the oil ring supports in there with the pins for the rods , I noticed the supports over lap, are they suppose to be file fitted to the cylinder ? or do they just over lap on the pistons?
I know dumb question, but I have never file fitted a set before and this is my first stroker motor too, just needed a heads up. thx, Charles
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Once you put the support rails on the piston, with the bump down in one edge of the wrist pin hole, there should not be any overlap and should not have to be filed. I have installed several sets and they sell different sizes for different bore ranges.

Trial fit one on a piston and I think that you will see that it will spring out and that there will be a gap.

When you do get ready to file-fit your rings, read the instructions that are included and that will help. I haven't had to clearance any oil rings, but I set the thin rings in the bore to check that there is a gap. The accordian style spacer support is what sets your oil ring tension (standard or low). Then ends will need to butt up against each other and must not overlap, but if you were to file fit this you would go to NO-Tension oil rings.

Bill M
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thx bill,
I will install one on the piston and see if its has a gap first wasnt aware you didnt have to file the thin oil control rings, that's a load off.
I' wasn't looking forward to doing all those rings.
I'm building this motor for a drag race only car, do you suggest I file the oil control accordian spacer for low tension?
Charles
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

If it is for bracket racing where you want consistancy and low maintainance, I personally recommend the standard tension oil rings to help keep the combustion chamber clean of oil. You will lose some HP, but if you run several hundred runs (or seasons) between freshening up you would probably want the std tension. If you are looking for every single HP available, then I have heard of using a fish scale to check the drag and fit the oil ring spacer accordingly. I have personally not done this. If you go to low tension oil rings, it is recommended that you also go to a vacuum pump to help with oil control and this can also help free up additional HP.

There are some good engine builders on here that will have some very good inputs on this and how much HP that I am leaving on the table.

Bill M
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

i appreciate the input bill.
I willbe bracket racing the car in footbrake soi'll leave the tension starndard fit. not like I'll be neeing every single hp like in a heads up race, I'll have plenty to spare i"m assuming with the light car I will be running
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

For what it is worth. I use nothing except standard tension oil rings in everything. I have never had problems with getting horsepower. My last light tension racing ring was way back in 1980. All my engines before that had some oil control and blow-by issues. Since then notta. I will gladly sacrifice a little hp for better oil ring seal.

By the way. Do always check all of your rings including the oil ring rails for ring gap. I have had to file them from time to time.

Ed