OLD SCHOOL PAINT

Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
OUTLAWED
SHOW GUEST

Default OLD SCHOOL PAINT

Can anyone tell me how to mix old school flat black??? I have seen old school rods with flat black semi gloss shine... How do you do this??? I am learning how to paint for myself instead of paying someone... Thanks... 8)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
novassx
APPRENTICE

Sikkens makes a real nice semi gloss "Ralley Black". It is a urethane. I used to use a flattening agent, mixed into acrylic enamel made by Dupont. Most make a semigloss black now. Ask for help on mixing and application!!!!!
Gerald
Old 05-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Might take a look at John Deere 'Blitz Black'. Hotrodders.com has a long running thread on it, just search there for Blitz Black. Has just the right satin look to it.

Murff
Old 09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
chevyluv1981
SHOW GUEST

if you want to have flat grafics a flattening agent mixed in to the clear. about to use a chassis black on a friends engine compartment. not sure how it will look but thats why im testing in on his engine compartment.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

PPG makes a sealer, DP series and it comes in several different colors, black white, red, green. It is a very good epoxy sealer and sticks to about everything and holds up. I painted a duck hunting boat with it over 10 years ago right over scuffed aluminum and it is still there. It's been out side since the day it was painted. the dull satin finish may be what your looking for. Great for a Rat Rod. It would cut cost too by being a one stage paint job. It is user friendly too. If you put any wax or polish flat paints, they gain gloss, so you want a wash and go finish.